Welcome to my kitchen, where I create healthy and delicious recipes that are perfect for those with specific dietary needs. Today, I want to share with you a recipe for decadent Molten Lava Cakes – a dessert that is gluten-free and dairy-free, yet still rich and indulgent.
As a nutritionist, I always aim to make recipes that not only taste good but also provide nourishment for the body. That’s why I’m excited to share this recipe with you – it uses wholesome ingredients that are free from processed sugars and unhealthy fats while still delivering on taste and texture.
Prepare to indulge in sheer heaven as you take a bite of these Molten Lava Cakes – the perfect dessert to impress your guests or satisfy your sweet cravings. Trust me; this recipe will leave your taste buds dancing with joy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention all chocolate lovers! This recipe is for you. Once you take a bite of these decadent, rich, and gooey molten lava cakes, you’ll never go back to a regular chocolate cake. Trust me; they are worth every calorie!
The best part of this recipe? It is gluten-free and dairy-free! So if you’re someone who avoids gluten or dairy products, don’t worry because you can still indulge in this dessert.
Imagine cutting into a velvety chocolate cake and having warm chocolate lava ooze out onto your plate. It’s like a beautiful work of art on your dessert plate. The aroma of the melted chocolate will set your taste buds tingling with anticipation.
This dessert is perfect for any special occasion or when you need a pick-me-up treat. You can make them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until it’s time to serve them. Trust me; they will be a crowd-pleaser and an instant hit!
So what are you waiting for? Grab the ingredients from your kitchen cabinet and whip up these mouth-watering molten lava cakes in no time. You won’t regret it!
The Ingredient List is where the magic starts. These lava cakes ingredients are fool-proof and easy to find in any grocery store. I’ve included substitutions for butter and flour for those who need a gluten-free and dairy-free option.
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus greasing
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (or regular all-purpose flour)
- Chocolate chips (optional)
For a dairy-free version, swap out the butter for 1/2 cup of your favorite plant-based margarine. For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free flour. Almond flour or oat flour work well in this recipe.
If you’re looking for a vegan lava cake, try using vegan chocolate and substituting the eggs with flax eggs or mashed bananas. Remember, you can always make this recipe your own by switching up the ingredients to what works best for you!
The Recipe How-To
Let’s dive into the exciting process of making these gluten-free molten lava cakes, shall we?
Preparing the Ingredients
Before we get baking, make sure you have all of the gluten-free ingredients required in the recipe. Here’s a checklist of what you’ll need:
- 6 oz dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (plus some for greasing)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (use oat flour for paleo or grain-free)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Here are some tips to help you prepare your ingredients:
- Chop the dark chocolate into small pieces so that it melts easily.
- Bring the eggs and butter to room temperature before starting to bake.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to sift gluten-free flour before adding it to the wet mixture.
Mix it up!
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C) and grease six ramekins with unsalted butter, then set them aside.
Pro tip: dusting the ramekins with gluten-free flour will help prevent sticking
In a microwave-safe bowl, Microwave the broken chocolate together with ½ cup of unsalted butter until they melt and combine perfectly. This may take between one to two minutes depending on your microwave settings.
Add granulated sugar and salt; whisk until combined evenly
Add in eggs one at a time, using an electric mixer at low speed until fully incorporated
Sift in gluten-free flour; continue mixing until fully combined
Divide the batter evenly between the six prepared ramekins
Time to bake!
Bake for exactly 13-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted one inch from the edge of the ramekin comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let it sit for about a minute before carefully inverting each cake onto its plate.
Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with fresh fruits such as raspberries or strawberries, then serve immediately to enjoy the luscious chocolate lava explosion.
These cakes are best served warm, and you can pair them up with vanilla ice cream or vegan-crème fraîche alternatives.
Hope you found these step-by-step instructions helpful. Enjoy your homemade molten lava cakes!
Substitutions and Variations
As a nutritionist and food blogger, I understand how important it is to have options in the kitchen. Whether you’re dealing with dietary restrictions or simply searching for something new, substitutions and variations can make all the difference in a recipe. With this gluten-free molten lava cake recipe, there are several options to customize your dessert exactly how you like it.
– Flour: Instead of using regular all-purpose flour, try a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour for a grain-free option.
– Sugar: If you prefer a lower glycemic option, try using coconut sugar or honey instead of white granulated sugar.
– Butter: To make the recipe dairy-free, swap out butter with dairy-free margarine or coconut oil.
– Eggs: For a vegan option, use flax eggs (1 tbsp. ground flaxseed + 2.5 tbsp. water = 1 egg) as an egg substitute.
– Raspberry lava: Add some fresh raspberries inside the cake batter before baking for a tasty surprise in every bite.
– Chocolate peanut butter: Drop a spoonful of peanut butter on top of the batter before baking for a delicious twist on classic chocolate lava cakes.
– Plant-based option: Swap out regular chocolate chips for vegan chocolate chips and use plant-based margarine instead of butter for a totally vegan-friendly version.
– Chocolate fondant cake: Bake the cake batter in ramekins until set on top but still gooey in the middle to create an indulgent chocolate fondant.
No matter what substitutions or variations you choose, these gluten-free molten lava cakes will make the perfect dessert for any occasion. Get creative and enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
Oh boy, hold on to your hats because it’s time to serve up some chocolatey goodness! These molten lava cakes are a perfect dessert to serve at dinner parties or just to indulge in when you need a sweet treat.
I recommend serving these cakes warm, straight out of the oven, so that when you cut into them, the molten chocolate oozes out. For an extra touch of decadence, you can add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Trust me, it’s absolutely divine.
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to pair these bad boys with a drink, I recommend going for something bold and rich like a glass of red wine. The tannins in red wine will complement the bitterness of the dark chocolate in the cakes and enhance their flavor. If you prefer a non-alcoholic drink, a hot cup of coffee or cocoa would be perfect accompaniments.
But wait, there’s more! You can also add a twist to these cakes by pairing them with raspberry sauce or fresh berries. The tartness of raspberries adds an extra level of complexity and balance to the sweetness of the chocolate.
Your guests will be over-the-moon happy with this amazing dessert paired with their favorite drink or sauce!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Planning ahead is always a good idea when it comes to entertaining guests or having a sweet treat ready for yourself. Luckily, these molten lava cakes can easily be made in advance and stored for later.
To make these cakes ahead of time, simply prepare the batter as directed in the recipe instructions. Once you have filled your ramekins with the batter, cover them tightly with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking. This allows the batter to settle and develop even richer flavors.
Once you are ready to bake the lava cakes, remove them from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before baking. Follow the recipe instructions for baking and enjoy warm, gooey chocolate goodness whenever you desire!
If you find yourself with leftovers, these cakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply microwave the cake for 10-15 seconds until warm, or bake in a low-temperature oven at 325°F (160°C) for 8-10 minutes.
You can also try freezing any leftover cakes by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and placing them in an airtight freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating as instructed above.
Overall, molten lava cakes are a perfect make-ahead dessert option that is sure to impress any chocolate lover!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a nutritionist cum food blogger, it’s important to me that every recipe I share turns out perfectly for you. Here are some tips that will help you get the best possible results when making these delicious Molten Lava Cakes.
1. Mixing the Batter:
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together. This helps to ensure that everything is well incorporated and your batter is smooth.
2. Chocolate Selection:
Choosing high-quality chocolate is key to getting the best flavor in your lava cakes. Use dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa for intense flavor.
3. Baking Time:
Bake the cakes just until the edges are set and the center is still a bit jiggly. This ensures a gooey, molten center.
4. Ingredient Substitutes:
If you need to make substitutions, use almond flour or oat flour in place of regular flour for a gluten-free option. Ghee or plant-based margarine can replace butter and dairy-free chocolate chips can be used instead of regular chocolate chips.
5. Greasing Tips:
Thoroughly grease the ramekins with butter or cooking spray and then dust them with cocoa powder before filling them with batter. This creates an easy release and beautiful appearance.
By following these tips, you’ll end up with perfectly molten lava cakes that are gluten-free, dairy-free, and simply irresistible! So don’t hesitate to experiment with these tips and use your own ideas for variations on this perfect dessert. Enjoy!
In conclusion, these Gluten-Free Molten Lava Cakes are the perfect dessert for anyone looking for a decadent treat but still wants to remain healthy. With the right ingredients and recipe tips, you too can make this dessert just as good or even better than the traditional version made with gluten and dairy.
By using ingredients such as gluten-free flour, dairy-free milk, and dark chocolate, you can create a dessert that is not only indulgent but also nourishing for your body. With the added bonus of being able to make-ahead and store them for later, these cakes are a perfect addition to any party or post-dinner gathering.
So why not try out this recipe today and see for yourself how delicious healthy desserts can be? These Molten Lava Cakes may just become your new favorite dessert!
Molten Lava Cakes - Gluten Free Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use rice)
- butter, for coating ramekins
- sugar, for coating ramekins
- Preheat over to 400.
- Cover ramekins with butter and dust with sugar. (If you don't have ramekins, I've also made these in a silicone muffin tray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt.
- Mix these all the above mentioned together.
- Add the flour, whisk till combined (do not over-whisk).
- Bake at 10-12 minutes until a tooth pick inserted 1/2 inch from the side of the ramekin comes out clean.
- Take out of oven and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- You can dust them with icing sugar and serve with icecream and your favorite berries.
- I've also had fun and added Baileys or other flavored liquors. This recipe holds up great so experiment with it!
- These microwave well the next day!
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You