Welcome to my dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe! As a nutritionist and food blogger, I strongly believe that healthy eating should never be boring. This recipe is proof of that.
For me, chocolate mousse is one of the most decadent desserts out there. But it’s often loaded with heavy cream, butter, and refined sugar. Not very health-conscious, right?
That’s why I’ve created a guilt-free version of this classic dessert that still tastes amazing. It’s creamy, velvety, and rich in chocolatey flavor – all with no dairy, no refined sugar, and minimal number of ingredients.
In this recipe article, I’ll show you how to create an indulgent chocolate mousse without sacrificing your health or your taste buds! So join me in this culinary adventure as we learn more about this delicious dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe that’s not only delicious but also guilt-free? Look no further than this decadent dairy-free sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe. Trust me; you’ll fall in love with this recipe at first bite.
This keto-friendly chocolate mousse is made without any refined sugars, harmful additives, or hormones. It’s also perfect for those on a low-carb, paleo, or vegan diet. The star ingredient of this recipe is the full-fat coconut milk, which sets the base of the rich and creamy texture that melts away in your mouth.
Not only is this mousse incredibly easy to make, but it only requires three simple ingredients: unsweetened cocoa powder, full-fat coconut milk, and maple syrup. Yes! You heard it right. This keto chocolate mousse recipe uses natural and healthy sugar alternatives such as maple syrup to create a luscious and heavenly taste.
What makes this dairy-free chocolate mousse stand out is that it requires no heavy cream or dairy substitutes to achieve the perfect texture. Therefore, it’s not only easy to make but also cost-effective, especially when feeding those with dietary restrictions.
So prepare to treat yourself! Whether you’re entertaining guests or wanting to indulge in some self-care time, this dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe is perfect for any occasion. So go ahead; whip up a batch of this deliciousness and enjoy the creamy goodness of this healthy yet indulgent dessert.
Get your aprons on and ready your measuring cups! In this dairy-free sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe, we’ll be using some of the best low-carb and healthful ingredients to make a rich and delicious treat for anyone with dietary restrictions.
Here’s what you will need to create this mouth-watering dessert:
- Coconut Milk – 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut cream, full-fat
- Cocoa Powder – 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate Chips – 6 oz sugar-free chocolate chips, melted
- Maple Syrup – 1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Almond Milk – 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Peanut Butter – 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- Avocado – 2 ripe avocados, pitted
- Cacao Powder – 2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
Some tips when buying or selecting the ingredients:
- You can choose between full-fat or light coconut cream, depending on how thick you prefer your chocolate mousse.
- For vegan and paleo options, go for dark chocolate chips with at least a 70% cocoa content or use cocoa nibs instead.
- Make sure that the almond milk is unsweetened. Alternatively, you can use other non-dairy milk alternatives like soy milk or oat milk.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all our ingredients ready for dairy-free sugar-free chocolate mousse, let’s dive into the recipe.
Step 1: Melt the Chocolate
Melt 6 oz of keto chocolate chips using the double boiler method. Set it aside and let it cool down.
Step 2: Prepare the Coconut Cream
In a separate bowl, add 3 cups of coconut cream (not milk) and whisk until smooth.
Step 3: Add Cocoa Powder and Sweeteners
Now, add 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup of low-carb sweetener like erythritol or Swerve, and 1/4 cup of sugar-free maple syrup to the coconut cream mixture. Mix it thoroughly.
Step 4: Add Vanilla Extract
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the mixture. Stir well.
Step 5: Combine both Mixtures
Once the melted chocolate has cooled down, fold it into the coconut cream mixture. Keep mixing gently until there are no visible lumps.
Step 6: Chill in Fridge
Put the mixture in a large mixing bowl or individual serving jars. Set them in your refrigerator to chill for at least an hour before serving.
If you like your dairy-free sugar-free chocolate mousse lighter, you may add unsweetened almond milk or cool whip as toppings for extra creaminess.
Now that we have completed all these steps of this rich and decadent dessert recipe, it’s time to serve it up for everyone to enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking for a way to change things up with this dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Different types of milk: While this recipe calls for unsweetened coconut milk, you can experiment with other plant-based milks such as almond or cashew. Just ensure that they are unsweetened and unflavored.
– Peanut butter or almond butter: For a slight twist, you can add a tablespoon of smooth peanut butter or almond butter to the mixture for extra richness and nutty flavor.
– Avocado: Swap out coconut milk for creamy, ripe avocado to create an interesting avocado mousse dessert. Blend 2 ripe avocados with ¾ cup of unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of sugar-free sweetener such as stevia, and 2 tablespoons of coconut cream in a food processor until smooth. Then chill the mousse before serving.
– Use keto-friendly chocolate chips: If you want to keep this recipe keto-approved, make sure to use sugar-free chocolate chips that don’t have added sugars. Look for brands made specifically for low-carb baking that features dark chocolate (85% or higher).
– Maple Syrup: Instead of using powdered sweeteners, consider adding 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup which works great with the flavors in this dish.
With these substitutions and variations, you’re sure to find something that fits your taste preferences perfectly while still creating a deliciously healthy dessert.
Serving and Pairing
This dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe is a luscious treat that can be served as an indulgent dessert or a delicious snack. Because it is free from dairy, gluten, and refined sugar, it’s perfect for anyone who has dietary restrictions or who wants to indulge in something sweet without feeling guilty.
This creamy chocolate mousse pairs perfectly with fresh berries, such as strawberries, raspberries or blackberries for a pop of color and a burst of freshness. The tartness of the berries complements the rich and decadent chocolate flavors in the mousse. You can also garnish with a few mint leaves for added freshness.
Alternatively, you may try pairing your chocolate mousse with refreshing beverages such as herbal tea, green tea or coffee. The bitter notes of caffeine will complement the richness and sweetness of the chocolate perfectly.
Another option for serving is to decorate the mousse with shaved chocolate or cocoa powder to create an elegant look that will wow your guests. You can also serve it in individual glasses or bowls to make each serving feel even more special and fancy.
Lastly, if you want to take this dessert up a notch, consider adding toppings like roasted almonds, walnuts or shredded coconut. These add texture and flavour to your already delightful dessert.
In conclusion, this dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse is an excellent way to indulge in something sweet without compromising dietary preferences. Whether it’s paired with fresh fruit or enjoyed on its own, this mousse is undoubtedly a treat that everyone will enjoy.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe is a perfect make-ahead dessert that can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks. To store it in the refrigerator, cover the mousse with a piece of plastic wrap, making sure that it touches the surface to prevent any air from getting through.
If you plan on freezing it, divide the mousse into individual portions and place them in sealed containers or bags. Before serving, let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
When reheating the mousse, do not microwave or heat it over direct heat as it will ruin its consistency. Instead, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes, then give it a quick whisk or blend to restore its creamy texture.
One of my favorite ways to serve this mousse is by adding some coconut whipped cream on top and fresh berries to enhance its flavor and add a touch of color. This treat is perfect for those who follow a low-carb, paleo, or keto diet but still want to indulge in some decadent dairy-free dessert without compromising on taste or health benefits.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making a delicious chocolate mousse, you want to make sure that the texture is just right. Follow these tips to ensure that your dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate mousse turns out perfectly every time.
Firstly, it’s important to use full-fat coconut milk or cream. This will give your chocolate mousse the rich and creamy texture reminiscent of traditional mousse made with heavy cream.
Also, be sure to chill your coconut milk or cream in the refrigerator at least overnight before using it in the recipe. This will help thicken the coconut milk and create a more stable emulsion when whisking it with other ingredients.
Another important tip is to sift your cocoa powder to remove any clumps. This will help get rid of any lumps and make the mousse smoother.
Using a good quality dark chocolate with at least 70% cacao is also key to achieving a decadent and rich chocolate flavor for your mousse. Opt for unsweetened chocolate or sugar-free chocolate chips for an even healthier option.
When folding in the whipped coconut milk or cream to the chocolate mixture, be gentle and use a light hand. Over-mixing can cause the air in the whipped coconut milk to dissipate, causing your mousse to lose its light and airy texture.
Lastly, refrigerate your mousse for at least an hour before serving for best results. This will give it time to set and develop its flavors, resulting in a more cohesive and indulgent dessert experience.
In conclusion, this dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a decadent dessert that won’t compromise their health goals. With full-fat coconut milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and natural sweeteners such as maple syrup, this recipe offers a guilt-free indulgence that won’t spike your blood sugar levels.
Whether you are on a low-carb, keto, paleo or vegan diet, this recipe is perfect for you. It’s versatile enough to allow for substitutions and variations to fit your taste preferences.
Also, with its creamy and silky texture, it’s hard to believe that this recipe only requires 3 key ingredients and less than 10 minutes of preparation time. This is a perfect recipe for busy weekdays or when unexpected guests show up.
And as you savor every spoonful of this rich chocolate treat, take comfort in the fact that you are not only enjoying a delicious dessert but also nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients.
So go ahead and give this dairy-free and sugar-free chocolate mousse recipe a try; you’ll be glad you did!
Dairy Free Sugar Free Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- Cut chocolate into slivers with a large knife. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix coconut milk, egg yolks, stevia, and salt in a saucepan. Heat over medium until steaming. Do not boil. Cook for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Pour milk mixture through fine meshed sieve to remove lumps into chocolate.
- Let mixture sit for five minutes.
- Stir chocolate and milk mixture slowly and constantly until fully mixed.
- Add vanilla and mix inches.
- Pour into container such as a bowl or individual cups.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You