Hark! O ye food enthusiasts and health-conscious people, gather around for a delightfully decadent and healthy recipe that is free from dairy, soy or gluten. A savory dish that is almost too good to be true! Have you ever craved for the ultimate comfort food, such as classic mac & cheese, but have had to avoid it due to dietary restrictions? Look no further, for I bring forth a recipe that will tantalize your taste buds without rebellion from your tummy!
Feast your eyes on this gluten-free/almost dairy-free Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe, which promises an indulging and creamy flavor with the added benefit of healthful ingredients. The recipe packs all the gooeyness of traditional macaroni and cheese with an addition of vegan Parmesan cheese and soy mozzarella cheese. This delicious mac & cheese recipe is perfect for any occasion, offering a nice balance for those who crave their warm cup of cheesy goodness while still retaining their dietary preferences.
Even if you are not following a particular diet, this recipe still tickles your senses while keeping it nutritious. With free nut-free, lactose-free options available, everyone can indulge in its scrumptiousness. Get ready to dive into a bowl made with almond milk, gluten-free pasta, tahini, raw cashews and nutritional yeast! It’s time to delve into this splendidly delicious Southern baked macaroni that will leave you craving for more.
So join me as we venture down the path of wholesome taste by indulging in this classic comfort food made healthy and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Thou may be wondering, why shouldst thou try this gluten-free and almost dairy-free baked mac and cheese recipe? Well, let me tell thee, my dear friend, that this recipe shall delight thy taste buds and nourish thy body at the same time.
First and foremost, this recipe is made without gluten, making it a great option for anyone with gluten sensitivities. And fear not, for the creamy vegan cheese sauce complements the gluten-free elbow macaroni quite well. The cheese sauce is made with soy mozzarella cheese, vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, tahini, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, ground nutmeg, black pepper, and a pinch of salt. This creates a flavourful and rich sauce that is unmatched in its savoury taste.
But wait! There’s more! This recipe not only uses soy mozzarella cheese as a non-dairy source but also has an amazing nut-free option to replace the cashews used to create the creamy vegan cheese sauce. Through the use of tahini and olive oil mixed with water for a smoothness that matches the taste of the creamy vegan cheese sauce. This combined substitution option makes it possible for everyone in your family or group to enjoy your homemade mac & cheese.
Lastly this recipe is quite versatile indeed. It can be served as a standalone meal or as an accompaniment to a variety of entrees such as chicken or fish. It can also be paired well with vegetables such as broccoli or bell peppers. Not to mention that it is also excellent when reheated for leftovers due to the fact that it holds up well in storage without losing its creaminess.
Thus I implore thee to give this gluten-free/ almost dairy-free baked mac & cheese recipe a try if you truly seek a mouth-watering mac & cheese experience that considers your health needs. Thou wilt not be disappointed, I assure thee.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free mac and cheese recipe.
Mac and Cheese:
- 8 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (almond milk works well)
- 1 cup shredded soy mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp melted dairy-free butter
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the ingredients required for this gluten-free and (almost) dairy-free baked mac and cheese, let’s dive into the process of creating this delicious dish.
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Meanwhile, prepare 8 ounces of elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Set aside once done.
Step 2: Blend the Cheese Sauce Ingredients
In a blender or food processor, blend together 1 cup of raw cashews until they become coarse crumbs. Then, add in 3 cups of water, 3 tablespoons of tahini, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tsp of Dijon mustard, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, and 1 tsp each of black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Add in some salt as per your taste preference.
Blend the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy. Pour the contents from blender to a pan.
Step 3: Add Remaining Ingredients
Add in 2 cups of prepared elbow macaroni into the pan containing cheese sauce, along with vegan cheese such as soy mozzarella cheese or vegan parmesan cheese or any other non-dairy shredded or sliced cheese. Stir well and pour into a baking dish.
Step 4: Topping Preparation
In a small bowl mix together gluten-free flour such as rice flour, potato starch, corn starch or any other gluten-free flour along with paprika and (**optional ingredient) Worcestershire sauce.
Now sprinkle this mixture over the top layer of the mixture in baking dish.
Step 5: Baking Time
Place in preheated oven and bake for about 25 –30 minutes or until golden brown crust generated on top.
Now that you have successfully baked this scrumptious gluten-free and dairy-free mac and cheese dish, serve it hot and enjoy the tasty delight that you have created.
Substitutions and Variations
Hark! Upon yon path to your kitchen lies a great many possible substitutions and variations for this most divine recipe. Fear not, for I shall guide thee with instructions and tips on how to turn this recipe into thine own creation!
– Cheese ingredients: Instead of soy mozzarella and vegan parmesan cheese, thou canst use Daiya cheese or any other vegan cheese substitutes of thy liking. There are many options for those who avoid dairy, so do experiment with various plant-based cheeses and find the one that suits your palate.
– Gluten-free & Nut-free: As this recipe is already gluten-free, it is nut-free as well. However, in case thou hath a nut allergy, use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead of cashews.
– Spices: Thou canst experiment with different spices to adjust the taste to thy liking. Try using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika for a richer flavor. Add Worcestershire sauce for an extra burst of aroma. Ground nutmeg can be a great addition to give it a hint of spice.
– Onion & Garlic: For those who are sensitive to onion or garlic, either reduce the amount as per thy need or eliminate them completely from the recipe.
– Mustard: Not fond of Dijon mustard? Thou canst use regular mustard or omit it entirely if you prefer.
– Tahini: In case thou dost not have tahini at home, thou canst use almond butter, cashew butter or any other smooth nut butter in its place.
– Flour: Any gluten-free flour will suffice for this recipe. Substitutes like coconut flour or oat flour can also be used.
With so many available substitutes and variations, the possibilities are endless. Play around with the ingredients until thou reacheth the perfect taste for thine mac and cheese!
Serving and Pairing
As a nutritionist and food blogger, I’ve always been fascinated with not just the healthy and organic ingredients that go into creating a delicious meal but also how you can turn even a simple recipe into something quite extraordinary. And that’s exactly what we’ve done with this gluten-free baked mac and cheese recipe.
This creamy vegan mac and cheese with soy mozzarella cheese and vegan parmesan cheese is the perfect comfort food for gluten-free or dairy-free eaters. It makes for an excellent choice as a main dish to impress your family, guests, or just yourself.
This classic creamy vegan mac and cheese can be served hot straight out of the oven or cold depending on your preference. You can jazz up the presentation by garnishing it with some freshly chopped herbs like basil or parsley. If you’re feeling more creative, you could even add some red pepper flakes or paprika for an extra zing in both flavor and color.
Pairing-wise, this gluten-free baked mac and cheese goes well with salads, asparagus or broccolini, roasted cauliflower jewels, or steamed green beans. For meat-eaters looking to add protein, grilled chicken or salmon would be an outstanding addition.
Overall, this vegan baked mac and cheese recipe is a dream come true for anyone looking for indulgent comfort food that’s still within the realm of healthy eating. So gather around the table with family or friends and enjoy every bite of this creamy delight!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Our gluten-free and almost dairy-free baked mac and cheese recipe can be prepared in advance, making it a perfect dish for meal planning or special occasions. Here are some tips for making it ahead of time, storing it properly, and reheating it:
You can make the entire recipe up to 2 days before serving. You can prepare the macaroni and cheese as instructed, let it cool completely, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to bake. When you’re ready to bake just add 5-10 minutes extra baking time since you will be cooking from cold instead of room temperature.
If you have any leftovers or want to store this dish for later use, be sure to cover the macaroni and cheese with a lid or aluminum foil so that no air or moisture can get in. The best way to store it is in the fridge, where it will last for up to 4 days.
To reheat a single serving in the microwave just heat for about 1-2 minutes. For larger portions bake in a preheated 350°F oven until hot all the way through (about 15-20 minutes). If the macaroni and cheese seems too dry when reheating drizzle some milk over the top before reheating.
In conclusion, make-ahead our gluten-free and almost dairy-free baked mac and cheese recipe is easy! Storing this classic dish is also easy as long as you store it properly in an airtight container. And reheating this dish is simple too; just follow our recommended instructions and enjoy its creamy texture every time!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know the recipe and are ready to cook, let’s talk about some important tips that will ensure perfect results every time you make this gluten-free and almost dairy-free baked mac & cheese.
1. Gluten-Free Pasta: Use good quality gluten-free pasta made with brown rice, quinoa, or chickpeas. These options will hold up better during baking and won’t become mushy.
2. Non-Dairy Milk: For a creamier consistency, use non-dairy milk like almond milk or coconut milk instead of regular dairy milk. This will also keep the recipe dairy-free.
3. Vegan Cheese: To make it completely dairy-free, use soy mozzarella cheese or vegan parmesan cheese as these have a similar texture to conventional cheese.
4. Nutritional Yeast and Tahini: Adding nutritional yeast and tahini to the cheese sauce gives it a nutty flavor and creamy texture without using any actual nuts or cheese.
5. Spices for Flavor: When making the cheese sauce, be sure to use spices like paprika, ground nutmeg, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard that enhance the flavors of mac and cheese.
6. Oil for Gluten-Free Flour: If you are using gluten-free flour (like rice flour) in the recipe to make a roux or thickening agent for the cheese sauce, use olive oil instead of butter as it helps to prevent the mixture from becoming too sticky or lumpy.
Following these tips will ensure that each bite of your homemade baked mac & cheese is just as delicious as the first one!
In conclusion, this Gluten Free/Almost Dairy Free Baked Mac & Cheese recipe is the perfect way to enjoy classic comfort food while maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet. With ingredients like soy mozzarella cheese, vegan parmesan cheese, paprika, and more; this recipe is rich in flavor and packed with healthy alternatives. Whether you are a vegan or have dietary restrictions, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for mac and cheese. So go ahead and whip up this delicious dish today! Your taste buds will thank you for it!
Gluten Free/Almost Dairy Free Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rice fusilli
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 1/2 cups plain rice flour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame tahini
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash paprika
- 3 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons soy mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and pre-cook the pasta until it is slightly tender but firm to the bite. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse quickly under cold water. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, stir in the rice flour with a wire whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 seconds, then slowly add the rice milk. Whisk well to remove any lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, it will thicken as it cooks then reduce heat to low.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a whisk.
- Pour the pasta into a 6 cup baking dish. pour the sauce over top and combine gently.
- Bake for 25min until heated through and bubbly.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You