Are you looking for a comforting and indulgent baked good that won’t compromise your dietary restrictions? Look no further! My Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones are the perfect solution for those following a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle while still indulging in delicious treats.
Made with easy gluten-free flour and almond flour, these scones have a delicate flaky texture and rich nutty flavor. The juicy, sweet blueberries add an extra layer of flavor and health benefits with their powerful antioxidants to help combat inflammation.
This recipe is also incredibly easy to make with only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, including gluten-free flour, eggs, sugar, salt, baking powder, almond flour, and fresh blueberries. It’s the perfect addition to any breakfast spread or afternoon tea party. Trust me; once you try my Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones, they will become your go-to treat for all occasions!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This gluten-free blueberry scones recipe is going to become your new favorite! Why, you ask? Well, let me give you a few reasons why you should try this recipe out:
First of all, these scones are loaded with fresh, juicy blueberries that are bursting with flavor in every bite. Who doesn’t love the combination of tart berries and sweet pastry? Trust me; it’s a match made in heaven!
Secondly, this recipe is incredibly easy to make. You don’t need any fancy kitchen gadgets or special techniques to put these scones together. All you need is a mixing bowl and a few simple tools, and you’re good to go!
Thirdly, these scones are gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free— perfect for anyone with dietary restrictions or allergies. But even if you don’t have any dietary restrictions, you won’t miss the wheat flour, heavy cream, or butter in this recipe at all. In fact, using almond flour and coconut milk makes these scones even more delicious and healthy!
Last but not least, these scones are perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. They’re tender and lightly sweetened with just the right amount of sugar to make them irresistible without being too over-the-top. And if that’s not enough to convince you to try this recipe out, I’ll say that they’re vegan too.
So why not give these gluten-free blueberry scones a try? They’re an easy-to-make treat that everyone can enjoy regardless of their dietary restrictions!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Gluten Free Blueberry Scones:
- 2 cups of gluten-free purpose flour
- ¼ cup of almond flour
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp of ground flax seed mixed with 2.5 tbsp of water)
- ½ cup of heavy cream, chilled
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
Fruit & Extras:
- 1 ½ cups of fresh blueberries
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
Note: You can swap blueberries for raspberries, blackberries, or any frozen berry. Swap out the heavy cream for full-fat coconut milk to make it dairy-free.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s get baking! Follow the easy steps below to create delicious and gluten-free blueberry scones.
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (1)
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (optional)
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
* Note: It’s important to use a good quality gluten-free flour blend for the best texture in your scones. We recommend using a brand like Cup4Cup or Bob’s Red Mill.*
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, almond flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Using a pastry cutter, cut in the cold cubed butter until it resembles coarse sand.
Mix in the fresh blueberries and lemon zest (optional).
Create a well in the center of the ingredients and slowly pour in the heavy cream (2). Mix until just combined (3).
Knead dough on a floured surface (4)a few times until it becomes a cohesive mass.
Pat dough into two 6-inch circles and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Cut each circle into six wedges and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about an inch apart.
Brush each scone with heavy cream and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm with your favorite beverage.
Tips & Tricks:
- For added protein and nutrition, swap out almond milk for heavy cream.
- Make your scones vegan by making a flax egg (1 tbsp of ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp of water as a replacement for an egg).
- To prevent the dough from sticking to the counter, cover it lightly in gluten-free flour while kneading.
- Lemon zest adds a bright freshness to these scones that pairs perfectly with the blueberries.
Now that you have your instructions handy, gather your ingredients and let’s get started on making these delicious blueberry scones.
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe for Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones is delicious as is, but you can also modify it to suit your taste and dietary restrictions. Here are some easy substitutions and variations you can try:
– Dairy-Free: If you’re lactose intolerant or vegan, you can swap out the heavy cream and butter in this recipe for dairy-free alternatives. Try using coconut cream or almond milk instead of heavy cream, and coconut oil or vegan butter instead of butter.
– Lemon Blueberry Scones: For a zesty twist on this classic recipe, add some fresh lemon zest to the scone dough and top them with a lemon glaze made from powdered sugar and lemon juice.
– Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones: To make these scones completely vegan, use a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water) instead of a regular egg. You can also use almond flour instead of all-purpose flour for added nuttiness.
– Fruit Scones: Don’t limit yourself to just blueberries! You can use any fresh or frozen fruit in this recipe, such as raspberries, blackberries, or even diced peaches.
– Easy Gluten-Free Flour Blend: If you don’t have access to pre-made gluten-free flour blends, you can make your own by combining 2 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour with 1 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, and ½ cup almond flour.
Whatever modifications you choose to make to this recipe, be sure to experiment until you find your perfect combination. Making substitutes doesn’t necessarily mean compromising on flavor or texture – sometimes it yields surprising results that could become new favorites.
Serving and Pairing
These gluten-free blueberry scones are perfect for any breakfast, brunch, or snack. Serve them warm from the oven with a dollop of butter or jam. For an extra treat, try topping the scones with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
These scones pair well with a warm cup of coffee or tea, making them a staple for cozy mornings in. They also make great gifts or additions to brunch spreads. Pair them with your favorite fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola to create a nutritious and balanced meal.
For those with dietary restrictions, these scones are both gluten-free and dairy-free, making them a great option for those following a vegan or plant-based diet. If you’re looking to add some more variety to your breakfast spread, try swapping out the blueberries for other fresh fruit options like raspberries or blackberries.
No matter how you choose to serve these scones, they are sure to be a crowd-pleaser for any occasion. Enjoy the sweet and tangy burst of fresh blueberries combined with the warm and crumbly texture of these gluten-free beauties.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve baked your gluten-free blueberry scones, you can easily make them ahead of time and store them for later use. These scones are perfect for meal prep! Here’s how to do it:
To make ahead: If you want to bake the scones in advance, you can prepare them up until step 5 where you cut the dough into triangles. Then, wrap the unbaked scones tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours until you’re ready to bake them.
To store: After baking the blueberry scones, allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before storing. If stored properly, they can last up to 3-4 days at room temperature in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. For longer storage, freeze the scones for up to a month.
To reheat: If you’re reheating scones from frozen, let them thaw out at room temperature first. Then, preheat your oven to 350°F and place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until warmed through.
For those busy mornings, you can also reheat your blueberry scones in the microwave by placing them on a microwave-safe plate and heating them on high for about 15-20 seconds per scone.
By following these simple make-ahead, storing and reheating tips, you can always have fresh gluten-free blueberry scones ready to go whenever you need them!
Tips for Perfect Results
When making gluten-free blueberry scones, it’s important to pay attention to every detail in order to achieve perfect results. As a nutritionist and food blogger, I have tested various techniques and compiled a list of helpful tips for you to ensure that your scones come out exactly the way you want them.
Firstly, make sure to use fresh blueberries, as they add moistness to the scones and are packed with antioxidants. Frozen berries can also be used, but it is crucial to drain them properly so that excess water doesn’t make the dough too wet.
Secondly, when measuring flour, it’s essential to use the correct technique. Spoon the flour gently into a measuring cup, then level it off with a knife or spatula. This ensures that you do not end up using too much flour, which can result in dry and crumbly scones.
Thirdly, when cutting the butter into small pieces for the dough, ensure that it’s very cold – this makes it easier to work with and creates a flakier texture once baked.
Fourthly, when shaping the dough into a circle before cutting it into wedges, handle the dough gently and don’t overwork it – this helps prevent any gluten from forming and makes your scones tender and soft.
Furthermore, instead of using heavy cream, try substituting it with almond milk or coconut milk for a dairy-free option. This not only gives the scones a subtle nutty flavor but also makes them lighter and healthier.
Finally, bake your blueberry scones on middle rack in the oven to avoid overheating from direct exposure with top burners or bottom heating rods which causes burning in some areas or too dark coloration underneath.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your gluten-free blueberry scones turn out perfectly every time – golden brown on the outside with a tender crumb and bursting with juicy blueberries. Enjoy!
: Making these mouthwatering gluten-free blueberry scones recipe is a quick, easy, and delicious way to start your day off right. With the combination of fresh blueberries, almond flour, and gluten-free purpose flour, this recipe creates a texture that’s lightly crisp on the outside while fluffy and tender on the inside. Top it off with lemon glaze, and you’ll have a hit with any breakfast lover. This recipe is perfect not only for those with dietary restrictions but for anyone who appreciates a tasty pastry with their morning coffee. So why not give it a try? Trust me; these scones won’t disappoint!
Gluten Free Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups chestnut flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture forms a fine meal.
- Whisk eggs with heavy cream. Drain blueberries (I used Wyman's wild blueberries in a can) and add to wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients carefully into dry ingredients. Try not to squish the blueberries too much.
- Pat dough out on a flat surface until about 3/4 inch thick. Cut 2-inch circles. Bake at 425 until tops are slightly browned.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You