Welcome to my gluten-free buckwheat wraps recipe! As a nutritionist and food blogger, I am always on the lookout for healthy and delicious alternatives for traditional dishes, and this recipe is one of my favorites.
If you’re gluten intolerant or just want to cut back on gluten, these wraps are perfect for you. Buckwheat flour is naturally gluten-free and adds a unique nutty flavor to the wraps, making them perfect for savory or sweet fillings.
These wraps are also dairy-free, oil-free, and made with only three ingredients, making them a healthy and easy option for any meal of the day. Not only are they incredibly simple to make, but they are also incredibly delicious.
Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch on-the-go or a tasty dinner option, these buckwheat wraps will become a staple in your kitchen. So let’s get started on this simple yet flavorful recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a gluten-free and dairy-free alternative to traditional wheat-based tortillas, these buckwheat wraps are just what you need. Not only are they easy to make with only three ingredients, but they also taste delicious and have a soft texture that’ll make you feel like you’re biting into a cloud. Here are some reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
1. Gluten-free and Nutritious
One of the biggest advantages of this recipe is that it is inherently gluten-free since buckwheat flour is used instead of wheat flour. Buckwheat is rich in nutrients such as fiber, protein, magnesium, and antioxidants, which can help improve digestion, lower cholesterol levels, regulate blood sugar, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. Versatile Wraps with Endless Possibilities
These wraps are incredibly versatile and can be used for both savory and sweet dishes. They pair well with flavorful toppings such as roasted vegetables, hummus, avocado, or chicken. Alternatively, you can serve them as a dessert filled with fresh fruits or nut butter. The possibilities are endless!
3. Easy to Make and Affordable
Making your own buckwheat wraps is much easier than you might think. The recipe requires only three simple ingredients – buckwheat flour, psyllium husk, and water – which can be found at any health food store or online. Moreover, it’s cost-effective compared to buying pre-packaged gluten-free tortillas.
4. Suitable for Various Dietary Restrictions
This recipe not only suits people who avoid gluten but also accommodates other dietary restrictions as it is free from nuts, soy, dairy, and eggs. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly!
5. Hearty Enough for a Full Meal
Unlike delicate lettuce cups or flimsy corn tortillas that can easily break apart when filled with hearty ingredients, these buckwheat wraps provide durability to hold up even the heaviest filling. They’re perfect for a satisfying meal that’ll keep you full and satisfied.
In conclusion, these gluten-free buckwheat wraps are easy to make, nutritious, versatile, affordable and suitable for various dietary restrictions, making them a perfect go-to for any meal of the day. Once you try them out, you’ll never go back to ordinary tortillas again!
Here are the ingredients needed to make gluten-free buckwheat wraps:
- Buckwheat flour (1 cup)
- Arrowroot (1/2 cup)
- Sea salt (1 tsp)
- Nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
- Psyllium husk (1 tbsp)
- Baking powder (1 tsp)
- Carrot juice or water (2 cups)
These wraps require only a few simple ingredients, all of which are gluten-, dairy-, and oil-free. Buckwheat flour is the star of this recipe, giving these wraps a deep and nutty flavor. Arrowroot is used as a binding agent, while nutmeg adds a warm and aromatic touch. The addition of psyllium husk helps to keep these wraps together and prevents them from falling apart when rolled up. Finally, carrot juice provides natural sweetness and moisture to the dough. All these ingredients combine to create ultimate soft flour for your wraps with an old-time bakery feel!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get on with the most exciting part – creating the Gluten-Free Buckwheat Wraps that will blow your mind away! Follow these simple steps, and you’ll have your wraps ready in no time.
Step 1: Mixing the Ingredients
In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup of buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup of arrowroot, and 1 tsp of sea salt until thoroughly combined. Then add in 2 cups of water, 2 tsp of psyllium husk, and a splash of carrot juice. Start whisking ideally with an electric whisk for about 30 seconds, or until the batter becomes smooth and silky. Set it aside for 10-15 minutes to allow the flours to absorb the water.
Step 2: Cooking the Wraps
Preheat a non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Grease it lightly with some vegetable oil or cooking spray. Give the batter another quick stir and then pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the heated skillet. Quickly spread it evenly into a thin layer covering the bottom of your pan.
Cook the wrap, without flipping it over until almost completely dry on top. This should take around 2-3 minutes. You can check by lifting up one edge; if it sticks just cook for about another minute before testing again.
Flip carefully to cook on the other side for about 30 seconds to a minute. It should be lightly golden brown in places but still flexible enough to fold without breaking apart. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Step 3: Assemble Your Gluten-Free Buckwheat Wraps
Once you have all your wraps cooked, now comes assembling them! The possibilities here are truly endless; make creative fillings depending on what you like.
My personal favourite filling is pairing my gluten-free buckwheat wraps with some flavoured gluten-free chicken and some fresh veggies such as spinach, carrot, and aromatic herbs such as dill. But these wraps are also divine with a range of other fillings, you could make a creamy spread of avocado with spices and veggies or try stuffing them with some fresh buckwheat groats for more texture.
Step 4: Enjoy Your Delicious Gluten-Free Buckwheat Wraps!
Get ready to savour the ultimate soft flour wrap that’s so versatile as it goes beautifully well with so many flavours. Enjoy this Old Time Bakery-like experience of consuming the healthy goodness of gluten-free buckwheat wraps.
Substitutions and Variations
Substitutions and variations are a great way to put your personal touch on this gluten-free buckwheat wrap recipe. Here are some options you can try:
– Flour: You can use different types of flours in place of buckwheat flour, such as teff, millet or brown rice flour. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may differ slightly. For an extra kick of flavor, add caraway or dill.
– Liquid: Instead of water, you can use carrot juice to add natural sweetness and nutrients. Also, for an oil-free version, swap the water with unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk.
– Arrowroot: Instead of arrowroot flour, you can use tapioca flour or cornstarch.
– Psyllium husk: Xanthan gum is a suitable substitute if psyllium husk isn’t available.
– Seasonings: You can add your desired seasonings, such as sea salt or nutmeg, to suit your taste buds. Alternatively, try spinach or grated carrots for an extra boost of nutrition.
– Wraps Variations: By adding some flavorings, you can make gluten-free tortillas that will complement a myriad of dishes from vegan chicken and vegetables wraps to hearty meat wraps. Moreover, you can change up the fillings to create new flavor combinations every time you make these wraps!
These variations give you endless possibilities to experiment with this recipe while keeping it healthy and gluten-free. Enjoy getting creative!
Serving and Pairing
These gluten-free buckwheat wraps are a versatile meal option that can be served as a healthy alternative to traditional tortilla wraps. One of the best things about these wraps is the versatile ingredients used in them. You can fill them up with your favorite veggies, protein, and sauce and create a tasty, healthy meal.
Here are a few suggestions on how to serve and pair these delicious gluten-free buckwheat wraps:
1. Fill these wraps with greens like spinach or kale, thinly sliced carrot sticks or cucumber, seasoned chickpeas or black beans, shredded chicken or tofu, and a drizzle of oil-free dressing.
2. Make buckwheat crepes to use in the place of bread and use them to make a savory breakfast sandwich! Add egg or scrambled tofu, sautéed mushrooms, tomato slices, avocado, and fresh herbs for a tasty and hearty start to your day.
3. Try serving these wraps alongside homemade soup! Their unique flavor will add an interesting twist to your old-time favorites.
4. For something sweet, you can try stuffing these wraps with fresh berries or sliced bananas paired with nut butter, maple syrup or cinnamon.
These gluten-free buckwheat wraps also pair well with other flavors such as dill or caraway seeds. You can even consider serving them as a side dish along with roasted vegetables on some days when you feel like eating light.
These wraps are perfect for quick meals on-the-go or for a wholesome luncheon at home. They are lightweight but make for a filling meal that everyone will love.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this gluten-free buckwheat wrap recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for later use. To do so, first, let the wraps cool down to room temperature after cooking. Then stack them up and store them in an airtight container. They will last in the fridge for up to a week.
If you plan on reheating the wraps, you have a few options. Microwave them for 10-15 seconds, or wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes, or until warmed through.
Another tip is to separate each wrap with a sheet of parchment paper before stacking them together. This prevents them from sticking to each other and makes it easier to reheat just one or two at a time.
These gluten-free buckwheat wraps are perfect for meal prep as they can be made in advance, stored easily and reheated quickly. They make an excellent grab-and-go lunch option or easy dinner idea after a busy day. Whether you want to make them ahead of time or simply store leftovers, these wraps are definitely worth trying out. So don’t be afraid to experiment and customize your creation with your favourite filling!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your gluten-free buckwheat wraps turn out perfectly every time, there are a few tips that can help!
Firstly, when making the batter, it’s important to whisk it thoroughly to get rid of any lumps. This will help the batter spread evenly and cook uniformly.
Secondly, don’t overfill the pan or griddle with batter as this can make the wraps too thick and difficult to roll. It’s best to start with a small quantity of batter and add more as you go along.
Thirdly, adjust the heat of your pan or griddle accordingly. Too high heat can make the wraps dry and brittle while too low heat can leave them undercooked. A medium heat is perfect for cooking gluten-free buckwheat wraps.
Fourthly, be patient when cooking your wraps. Since they are gluten-free, they may take longer to cook than traditional flour tortillas or wraps. Keep flipping the wrap until both sides are cooked evenly.
Lastly, store any leftover wraps in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for future use. You can reheat them by placing them back in a skillet over low heat for a few minutes to bring them back to life.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to create gluten-free buckwheat wraps that are delicious and easy to roll up with your favorite fillings!
In conclusion, if you are looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional tortilla wraps, then these gluten-free buckwheat wraps are the perfect choice for you. Made with all-natural ingredients including nutrient-rich buckwheat flour, this recipe is easy to make and customize to your liking.
Whether you prefer your wraps filled with fresh veggies, grilled chicken or simply smeared with hummus and avocado, the possibilities are endless. Plus, these wraps are versatile enough to be used for everything from sandwiches and burritos to crepes and flatbread pizzas.
So why not give this recipe a try and experience the ultimate softness and flavour of homemade buckwheat wraps? Not only will your taste buds thank you, but your body will too. With no gluten or dairy, you can indulge in these wraps without any guilt or discomfort. Trust me; it’s worth it!
In addition to being a gluten-free option, these wraps are also vegan-friendly, making them suitable for people with special dietary requirements. So go ahead and experiment with your favourite flavours and fillings to create your own signature wrap recipe today.
In conclusion, these buckwheat wraps offer a healthier alternative to processed tortilla wraps while still maintaining delicious flavour and texture. I hope this recipe inspires you to take charge of your health by trying out nutritious yet tasty options like these gluten-free buckwheat wraps. Bon appetit!
Gluten Free Buckwheat Wraps Recipe
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 200 ml carrot juice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Pour carrot juice into a bowl.
- Whisk in the buckwheat flour until combined.
- Whisk in the arrowroot and season with the nutmeg and sea salt.
- Check the consistency – it should flow like a crepe batter – you can adjust by adding a little more buckwheat flour or carrot juice if necessary.
- Cook just like crepes in a pan by lightly oiling with little coconut or olive oil then pouring the batter just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute and flip over with a spatula to cook the other side for a few more seconds.
- Cool the wraps on a plate and store between sheets of grease-proof paper.
- Store wrapped in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Makes 10 wraps.
- Swap the carrot juice for beetroot juice for a lovely crimson colored wrap.
- Swap the carrot juice for spinach or kale juice for a lovely green colored wrap.
- Add fresh chopped garden herbs or a little cayenne pepper to the wrap mix before cooking to boost flavor.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You