Greetings dear readers,
As a nutritionist and food blogger, one of my biggest passions is sharing my love for healthy cooking with all of you. Today, I am thrilled to introduce my favorite gluten-free bread recipe – a delicious and easy-to-make focaccia that’s both vegan and dairy-free.
Over the years, I’ve experimented with numerous gluten-free bread recipes, but none of them quite reached the standard of traditional wheat flour-based ones, until now. After much trial and error, I finally came up with a gluten-free flour blend that works perfectly in this recipe, without compromising on flavor or texture.
This free gluten-free focaccia is perfect for anyone looking for a healthier, allergy-friendly alternative to traditional bread. So why not give it a try?
In this article, you’ll find everything you need to make the best gluten-free focaccia bread – from an ingredient list to step-by-step instructions and tips for perfect results. Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting your journey, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds and those around you.
So gather your ingredients and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
My dear foodie friends, let me tell you why this Gluten Free Vegan Focaccia recipe is going to be your new favorite gluten-free bread!
First of all, let’s talk about taste. This focaccia bread is infused with aromatic olive oil, making it fragrant and deliciously savory. Every bite melts in your mouth and leaves behind a beautiful balance of flavors that you’ll crave after every single meal.
Secondly, let’s address the elephant in the room: gluten-free bread can be notoriously tricky to bake. It often lacks structure and tastes like cardboard, am I right? Well, worry not my friends – this recipe will change everything you thought about gluten-free baking! The mix of sorghum flour, tapioca starch, cornstarch, and potato starch creates a perfect blend that will give you the chewy texture and taste of traditional bread – without any gluten.
Furthermore, this bread is dairy-free, vegan-friendly and packed with nutrients. So not only is it delicious and easy to make it also fits different dietary restrictions or preferences!
Finally, this focaccia is perfect for any occasion – whether you’re serving it as a side dish or using it as a base for your favorite sandwich. It pairs great with salads, soups or dipping into flavored oils.
In conclusion, my fellow foodies – you’ll love this Gluten Free Vegan Focaccia recipe because it’s easy to make, full of flavor and nutrients, versatile and most importantly – gluten-free! Once you try it, there will be no turning back!
Let’s get started with the ingredient list for this gluten-free vegan focaccia bread recipe. All of the ingredients are 100% plant-based and free from gluten, dairy, and animal products. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of gluten-free flour blend (sorghum flour, tapioca starch, cornstarch, and potato starch)
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or other sweetener of your choice
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of guar gum
- 1 and ½ cups warm water (around 110°F)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
Don’t worry if you can’t find all these ingredients at your local grocery store. I’ll also share some substitution options in the following sections that you can experiment with.
The Recipe How-To
Now, on to the most exciting part of this article – the recipe how-to! I promise that you’ll find this gluten-free vegan focaccia bread recipe easy and quick to follow!
- 2 cups of warm water (1 tbsp temperature)
- 1 packet of active dry yeast (approximately 2 tsp)
- 1 tbsp of sugar (or other sweetener choice)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 cups of gluten-free flour blend (mix with tapioca starch, cornstarch, potato starch, and sorghum flour)
- 2 tsp of guar gum
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the warm water, yeast and sugar. Wait approximately five minutes for the mixture to foam.
- Add in olive oil, gluten-free flour blend, guar gum, salt and baking powder. Stir well until combined.
- Place the dough on a greased oiled baking sheet in a rectangular shape. Make sure it’s even and about 1 inch thick.
- Let it rest for approximately 20 minutes until it rises a bit.
- Once it has risen, poke holes with your index finger all over the dough at even intervals (approximately an inch apart).
- Drizzle some olive oil over the top and sprinkle some salt.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack to cool down.
And there you have it! You just made some impressive GF vegan focaccia bread!
Substitutions and Variations
In the world of gluten-free and dairy-free cooking, substitutions and variations are key to creating delicious and healthy dishes. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try with this recipe:
– Flour blend: Instead of using the flour blend listed in the ingredients, you can experiment with your own blend. Just make sure to include a mix of gluten-free flours and starches for the best texture.
– Yeast: If you’re out of active dry yeast, you can use instant yeast instead. Just be sure to follow the package instructions for how much to use.
– Sweetener choice: While the recipe calls for sugar, you could also use honey or maple syrup for a different flavor profile.
– Toppings: Focaccia is a versatile bread that can be customized to your liking. Try adding sliced tomatoes, olives, fresh herbs, or even vegan cheese on top before baking.
– Vegan-friendly: This recipe is already vegan-friendly, but if you want to switch things up, you could try adding vegan sausage crumbles or other meat alternatives on top of the bread before baking.
– Gluten-free knead: Traditional focaccia bread is usually kneaded for a long time to develop gluten. To achieve a similar texture with gluten-free flour, kneading for about 5-10 minutes should do the trick.
Remember that some substitutions may impact the overall texture and flavor of the final product. So have fun experimenting in your gluten-free kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
This vegan and gluten-free focaccia bread is incredibly versatile and pairs well with a variety of dishes. Whether you’re serving it alongside a hearty soup or enjoying it as a sandwich, this bread adds the perfect touch to any meal.
One of my favorite ways to serve this bread is to pair it with a fresh salad. The soft and chewy texture of the focaccia complements the crisp greens, making for a delicious and satisfying combination. You can also try serving it as an appetizer with your favorite dips like hummus or baba ganoush.
For a heartier meal, try using this bread to make sandwiches filled with roasted veggies or marinated tofu. The mild flavor of the bread won’t overpower the fillings, allowing each ingredient to shine through.
This recipe also works great as a side dish for dinner parties or holiday meals. It’s easy to make ahead of time and heats up well in the oven. Serve it alongside your favorite roasted veggies or braised meats for a decadent feast.
No matter how you choose to serve this gluten-free vegan focaccia, one thing is certain: it will be a hit with everyone at the table. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, when it comes to gluten-free bread, it is always the best practice to store it properly to keep it from drying out. One of the great things about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time or even freeze it for later use.
To store the focaccia, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in an airtight container. You can store the bread at room temperature for up to two days. After which, slice it up and freeze the individual slices if you don’t plan on consuming all of them within three days.
Reheating gluten-free bread can be a bit tricky. But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! To reheat your stored or frozen focaccia, simply pop it into an oven preheated to 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Add a splash of water on top of the bread before transferring it to the oven to help retain its moisture.
Another option is to lightly toast the slices in a toaster or on a dry pan for a quick breakfast. Serve with your favorite spread, such as vegan cream cheese or honey drizzle with sliced fruits. You can also use them for sandwiches or for dipping into soups and sauces.
Remember that this gluten-free bread has no preservatives, so always check the quality and freshness before consumption. Savor every bite knowing that you’re enjoying healthy, delicious bread made with organic and vegan-friendly ingredients—all thanks to this easy gluten-free vegan focaccia recipe!
Tips for Perfect Results
Before diving into the recipe, here are some essential tips to ensure perfect results every time you make this delicious gluten-free vegan focaccia bread.
1. Use room temperature water
To activate the yeast used in this recipe, use warm water (around 105-110°F). You can measure the temperature using a thermometer or simply check that the water feels warm to the touch. Alternatively, you can use room temperature water and allow extra rising time for your dough.
2. Proof your yeast
Before adding your yeast to the dough ingredients, proof it first. In a small bowl, mix the active dry yeast with a tablespoon of sugar and warm water. Let it sit for about five minutes; if the mixture becomes frothy, then the yeast is active and ready to be added to the rest of the ingredients.
3. Whisk dry ingredients
This gluten-free focaccia recipe requires a blend of gluten-free flours: tapioca starch, cornstarch, sorghum flour, guar gum, and potato starch. Before adding these to your wet ingredients, whisk them together first until they’re evenly combined.
4. Coat hands with oil before kneading
Since gluten-free dough is stickier than traditional dough made with wheat flour, it’s essential to coat your hands with olive oil before kneading. Gluten-free dough also requires less kneading than wheat flour-based dough to get an airy crumb and optimal texture.
5. Tap and brush olive oil over the dough
Before baking your gluten-free focaccia bread, press your fingers into the surface of the dough several times to create dimples on top. This step helps create pockets in the bread that can trap flavorful toppings such as roasted garlic or caramelized onions. After creating dimples, brush olive oil or any other vegan-friendly oil over the top of the bread for extra flavor and texture.
By following these simple tips above, you’ll have a delicious gluten-free vegan focaccia bread that everyone will enjoy.
your gluten-free and dairy-free journey with this delicious and easy to make focaccia bread recipe. Being mindful of your dietary restrictions doesn’t mean you have to compromise on taste, texture, or quality. With the right ingredients and techniques, you can have a recipe that is healthy, flavorful, and satisfying.
By following my gluten-free vegan focaccia recipe, you’ll be able to create a bread that is soft, fluffy, and full of flavor. This recipe includes a blend of gluten-free flours such as tapioca starch, cornstarch, sorghum flour, and potato starch which adds much-needed texture and structure to the bread. The recipe also calls for olive oil which provides a subtle yet satisfying taste.
Don’t let your dietary restrictions discourage you from enjoying fresh and delicious baked goods. With this recipe, you can enjoy the taste of freshly made focaccia bread without any guilt or discomfort.
In conclusion, my gluten-free vegan focaccia recipe is versatile, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or something to accompany your meal, this bread will not disappoint. So go ahead – give this recipe a try and indulge in the simple pleasures of life without compromising your health!
Gluten Free Vegan Focaccia (My Favorite Gluten Free Bread) Recipe
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2-2/3 cup warm water
- Grease and flour a 8-8'' pan, use rice flour for this. I also put parchment paper on the bottom.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Put the yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Then add the oil and add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix just until blended.
- Then mix with mixer on high for 2 minutes.
- Spoon dough into pan. Cover and let double in size, about 40-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 with rack in lower third of oven (i have forgotten to position the oven racks before and it still turned out fine).
- When dough has doubled in size, sprinkle with olive oil and brush across dough. Sprinkle with rosemerry and sea salt.
- Bake 20 minutes, should be light brown. Cool in pan 15 minutes and then enjoy.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You