Welcome to my blog, where I share healthy and delicious recipes with a special focus on gluten-free, dairy-free and organic foods. Today’s recipe is Coconut Macaroons- a naturally gluten-free treat that will satisfy your sweet cravings without any guilt.
I love baking these macaroons because they are effortless to make, require less than 10 ingredients and can be ready in under 30 minutes. As someone who has experimented with various baking recipes over the years, I can assure you that this is one of the easiest recipes to follow.
Not only are these macaroons naturally gluten-free, but they are also dairy-free, making them allergy-friendly and perfect for everyone to enjoy.
You don’t need any fancy tools or equipment to make these macaroons – just a mixing bowl and baking sheet! Plus, they are so versatile that you can enjoy them as a snack or dessert- either fresh out of the oven or as an addition to your favourite ice cream sundae.
So, let’s get started! Get ready to bake some delightful treats that even your non-gluten-free friends will love.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a nutritionist and food blogger, I understand the importance of healthy eating while also indulging in delicious treats. That’s why I’m excited to share with you this gluten-free macaroon recipe that is not only flavorful but also nutritious.
Firstly, these macaroons are naturally gluten-free, making them a great dessert option for those with a gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Instead of using wheat flour, I’ve substituted it with almond flour. Almond flour contains more fiber and protein than wheat flour, which makes it an excellent gluten-free alternative.
Secondly, these macaroons are dairy-free. Many traditional macaroon recipes call for sweetened condensed milk or butter, which can be problematic for people with lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy. In this recipe, we use unsweetened shredded coconut and egg whites to create the perfect texture without any dairy products.
Thirdly, these macaroons contain no refined sugar. Instead, we use natural sources of sweetness like coconut sugar and vanilla extract to add flavor without the harmful effects of processed sugar.
But don’t be fooled by their healthy ingredients; these macaroons are truly delicious! The combination of shredded coconut, almond flour, and vanilla extract creates a heavenly aroma that will make your mouth water. Plus, they’re so easy to make that you can have a batch ready in less than 30 minutes.
In conclusion, whether you’re looking for a gluten-free dessert option or just want to indulge in a guilt-free treat, these macaroons are the perfect choice. They’re easy to make, packed with healthy ingredients and taste amazing. So why not try them out today and experience the magic for yourself?
The ingredient list for these gluten-free coconut macaroons is quite simple and consists of only a few key ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Here are the items you will need:
- 1 ¾ cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- ¾ cup almond flour (blanched)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Optional Substitutes or Add-ins:
- For a dairy-free option, use sweetened condensed coconut milk instead of regular sweetened condensed milk.
- If you’re looking to switch things up a bit, try adding some chocolate chips or dried fruit into the mix.
To ensure that your macaroons are truly gluten-free, carefully check the labels on all of your ingredients – especially the almond flour. I recommend using a brand like Bob’s Red Mill which offers plenty of gluten-free options.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s dive into making these delicious gluten-free coconut macaroons. This recipe is easy to make and perfect for anyone looking for a healthy and satisfying snack.
To make 12-15 macaroons, you will need:
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C) and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your shredded coconut and almond flour, then mix thoroughly.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, whisk your egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl of egg whites and whisk them together until they form glossy peaks.
- Fold the egg whites mixture gently into the shredded coconut mixture until well combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon to form small balls out of the dough and drop them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the macaroons completely cool before serving.
These macaroons are perfect as an afternoon snack or a light dessert after dinner with friends and family.
Substitutions and Variations
Now, let’s talk about how we can switch things up a little bit! One of the great things about cooking and baking is that you have the flexibility to experiment with different ingredients and flavors. Here are a few substitutions and variations for this gluten-free macaroon recipe:
– Sugar: If you’re looking for a low-carb option, you can substitute the sugar with your favorite artificial sweetener. Just be mindful of conversion measurements since some sweeteners are sweeter than others.
– Shredded Coconut: To add some variety, consider using flavored shredded coconut like toasted or unsweetened. You could also try substituting it with desiccated coconut or coconut flakes.
– Almond Flour: While almond flour is already naturally gluten-free, you could use other nut flours such as hazelnut or cashew for extra flavor. You could also try experimenting with other gluten-free flour blends like buckwheat or rice flour.
– Chocolate Macaroons: For an extra chocolaty version of these macaroons, dip them in melted chocolate or add cocoa powder to your recipe. You could also add chocolate chips!
– Dairy-Free Options: To make this macaroon recipe dairy-free, simply substitute sweetened condensed milk with your favorite non-dairy milk like almond or coconut milk.
– Raspberry Macaroons: Want to add a fruity twist? Try incorporating raspberry preserves into the mixture before baking or sandwich some between two macaron shells.
Remember, these substitutions and variations are just suggestions. Don’t be afraid to experiment and create your own unique take on this gluten-free macaroon recipe!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve tried these delightful gluten-free coconut macaroons, you’ll be begging to pair them with anything and everything. They are that delicious!
To begin with, these macaroons are a perfect after-dinner treat. Their soft and chewy texture makes them an excellent option if you prefer something that isn’t too heavy yet satiates your sweet tooth. You can serve them alongside some hot tea or coffee to enhance the coconut flavour further.
But I also suggest pairing these macaroons with some fresh fruits like berries, for example, strawberries or raspberries, since they complement the soft sweetness of the macaroons beautifully. The combination of textures and flavours is guaranteed to leave your taste buds dancing with joy.
For those who enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, try dipping your macaroons in melted dark chocolate to create an irresistible chocolate version of this recipe. You might end up making it a tradition.
If you’re serving these gluten-free coconut macaroons on a dessert platter or for a party, consider mixing and matching other naturally gluten-free desserts like pavlova or fruit tarts. This way everyone can savour at least one sweet item while avoiding gluten entirely.
In conclusion, this versatile recipe can fit into any event or time of day. With its melt-in-the-mouth texture and sweet taste, it’s a stand-alone treat that deserves to be placed front and centre on any dessert table.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about these gluten-free coconut macaroons is that they keep well and are incredibly versatile. You can make them days in advance, and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. However, if you live in a humid or hot location, it’s best to refrigerate them to avoid them getting too sticky.
If you want macaroons that are soft and chewy in the middle, simply place them on a baking sheet and heat them in a preheated oven at 325°F for five minutes, or until warmed through. Be careful not to overheat or reheat them too often as they may lose their texture.
If you want your macaroons dark and crispy on the outside, you can toast them in the oven. Just arrange them on a baking sheet and heat them at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow the macaroons to cool before storing.
These macaroons also freeze exceptionally well. You can prepare the recipe in advance, shaping the raw dough into balls then place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes until firm. Once frozen, transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator then proceed with baking according to instructions.
Overall, these healthy organic macaroons are perfect for last-minute sweet cravings or party desserts that are sure to impress everyone, all while being diet-friendly.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to make delicious gluten-free coconut macaroons, let’s ensure that you get perfect results every time you make them. Here are some tips for baking the best coconut macaroons:
1. Check the labels: Always check the labels of the ingredients before using them in the recipe. Make sure that they are gluten-free and dairy-free, especially if you have any dietary restrictions.
2. Use fresh egg whites: Fresh egg whites are essential for making fluffy and light macaroons. Also, make sure that there is no yolk or any other impurities in the egg whites.
3. The importance of sugar: Sugar provides sweetness to the macaroons and helps in binding them together. When making macaroons, always use powdered sugar or confectioner’s sugar for better results.
4. Use almond flour: Almond flour is a naturally gluten-free ingredient that lends a nutty flavor and a slight crunch to your coconut macaroons. When measuring almond flour, make sure to pack it down slightly to get an accurate measurement.
5. Beat egg whites thoroughly: Whip the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks, but do not overbeat them as they might turn dry and grainy.
6. Allow the cookies to cool completely: Once the cookies are baked, allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing them. This will help in retaining their shape and texture.
7. Don’t overbake: Overbaking can result in hard and dry macaroons that are no longer chewy and moist in texture. Keep an eye on your oven while baking and remove them from the oven when they are perfectly golden brown.
In conclusion, follow these tips for better results every time you bake coconut macaroons. With this recipe, you will find it easy to make delicious gluten-free coconut macaroons that look beautiful and taste fantastic!
Now that you know how to make delicious and healthy gluten-free macaroons, let’s take a look at some frequently asked questions about this recipe. Whether you’re new to baking or a seasoned pro, these tips will help you achieve perfect results every time. So, let’s get started!
Are macarons usually gluten free?
Luckily, macarons are gluten-free, making them a perfect dessert option for individuals with celiac disease.
What can I substitute for almond flour in macarons?
If you or someone you’re cooking for cannot have almond flour, there are other flours that can be substituted in macarons. Coconut flour, rice flour, and chickpea flour are all great alternatives that can be used to create similarly delicious macarons. Each of these flours will yield a slightly different flavor and texture, making it worthwhile to experiment and find the perfect flour for your tastes. You can easily find nut-free macaron recipes online to get started.
Are Trader Joe’s macarons gluten free?
Macarons available at Trader Joe’s are not suitable for people following a gluten-free diet since they contain gluten. People who avoid gluten have expressed their dissatisfaction on Instagram. Traditional macarons are typically comprised of almond flour, egg whites, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar.
Do coconut macaroons contain gluten?
Macaroons made without flour or gluten are a delightful treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the year, including during Passover. While some recipes may stray from tradition and include flour or wheat, a traditional macaroon recipe will still result in a delicious and gluten-free dessert.
In conclusion, these gluten-free coconut macaroons are the perfect way to indulge without feeling guilty about it. With ingredients such as shredded coconut, almond flour, and egg whites, you can make a delicious dessert that is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. These macaroons are easy to make, and they taste amazing. Whether you serve them at dinner parties or enjoy them by yourself, you’ll love the sweet and chewy coconut flavor.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to your nearest grocery store, grab some almond flour, and let’s start baking! These macaroons are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on your health. With a little bit of effort and a lot of love, you can make the best coconut macaroons in no time! Keep experimenting with different flavors and variations mentioned in this recipe article and come up with your own unique versions of these heavenly dessert bites.
Remember to check labels and use organic ingredients whenever possible. And if you have any queries or concerns about making these gluten-free coconut macaroons, refer to the FAQ section of this recipe article. Happy cooking!
Macaroons - Gluten Free Recipe
- 14 ounces coconut (Shredded)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites (Whipped)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (Gluten Free)
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 -2 cup chips, Any Flavor (Add to Taste, I prefer Chocolate Chips or Butterscotch Chips)
- Preheat Oven to 325.
- Mix Sugar and Flour together in small bowl and set to side.
- Whip Egg Whites and Vanilla Extract in larger bowl.
- Slowly fold the sugar/flour mixture into your egg mixture.
- Once mixed well, fold in coconut and chips until all are lightly coated in the mixture.
- Use heaping spoon fulls to create mounds of coconut cookies on two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. [Should make between 40 - 50 cookies depending on the size of your mounds.].
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, when some edges are just starting to lightly brown.
- Place cookies on cooling rack and completely cool prior to eating.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You