Looking for a sweet, gluten-free and dairy-free option to satisfy your cravings? Look no further than this quick and easy gluten-free scones recipe! Whether you’re new to gluten-free baking or a seasoned pro, this recipe is sure to impress.
But why go gluten-free? Well, for starters, some people have an intolerance or allergy to gluten, which can make it difficult to enjoy traditional baked goods. But even for those who don’t have a medical reason to avoid the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley, going gluten-free can offer a variety of benefits.
For instance, many people find that eliminating gluten from their diet can reduce inflammation and improve gut health. In addition, using gluten-free flour blends can be a great way to experiment with new flavors and textures in baked goods.
So whether you’re looking to improve your health or just try something new in the kitchen, this gluten-free scone recipe is definitely worth a try. Keep reading for all the details on how to make these mouthwatering treats!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Look no further, my dear readers, for I have found the perfect recipe that will excite your taste buds without compromising on health. This quick and easy gluten-free scone recipe is worth swooning over. Trust me; once you have tried it, you will want to share it with everyone you know.
First things first, let’s consider the texture of these scones. They are crispy at the edges and tender in the middle, perfect for a little indulgence. The secret ingredient here is almond flour, which adds a bit of aroma and complements the gluten-free flour blend.
And that brings us to gluten-free flour. Many people who suffer from celiac disease or gluten intolerance face difficulty when trying to find bakery items that don’t harm their stomachs. Fear not! These scones eliminate that problem as they use a blend of gluten-free all-purpose flour and xanthan gum, making them safe and delicious.
It would be remiss if we didn’t mention how easy it is to make this recipe. With only two mixing bowls and basic baking tools, this recipe comes together in 30 minutes or less. No need for prolonged kneading or handling!
Lastly, what makes these scones so versatile is how customizable they are. You can switch up the flavors based on your preferences, whether it’s blueberry, chocolate chips or savory cheese scones. Or pair them with clotted cream or dairy-free whipped cream and enjoy them during your afternoon tea time with friends.
In conclusion, this gluten-free recipe is ideal for anyone looking for a sweet treat without sacrificing flavor or their dietary needs. It’s quick, easy to make, and oh so satisfyingly delicious. So why wait? Head to the kitchen now and start baking!
To whip up these gluten-free scones, you’ll need these ingredients:
- Gluten-free purpose flour blend: 2 cups
- Baking powder: 2 teaspoons
- Xanthan gum: 1 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cold unsalted butter, cubed: 60 g (1/4 cup)
- Cold milk (dairy or non-dairy): 1/2 cup
That’s it! With just seven simple ingredients, you can create the perfect gluten-free scones.
The Recipe How-To
Now let’s dive into the recipe itself. I promise that you’ll love how easy and quick these Gluten Free Scones are to make.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 cups of gluten free flour blend (see notes for blend)
- 2 tsp of gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of xanthan gum
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup of dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar. Whisk it all together.
- Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add it to the mixture along with the dairy-free milk. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly dust with additional gluten-free flour.
- Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to drop roughly equal balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until they start turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let them cool on a wire rack before serving.
I hope this recipe is helpful for you! Remember that scones are best served fresh out of the oven with some clotted cream or jam.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to add some pizzazz or switch things up in this gluten-free scone recipe? Fear not, my dear foodies! You have plenty of options.
To start, let’s talk about flour. While the recipe calls for a gluten-free flour blend, you can use any other gluten-free flour or flours of your choice. Some great alternatives include almond flour, oat flour, sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, and coconut flour. Keep in mind that different flours will have different textures and absorbencies, so your scones may come out slightly different if you make substitutions.
If blueberries aren’t your favorite fruit, you can easily swap them out for other fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or cherries. You can also ditch the fruit altogether and add chocolate chips (because who doesn’t love chocolate chip scones?).
If you’re looking to make these scones vegan or dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter or coconut oil and use non-dairy milk instead of regular milk. For a savory twist on this sweet recipe, try adding cheese and herbs instead of fruit.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations! Lemon blueberry scones are a classic, but you can also try cranberry orange or even pumpkin spice (just in time for fall). The possibilities are endless when it comes to scones – get creative with it!
Remember though, making substitutions and variations in recipes may change the texture and flavors of the final product. So don’t be afraid to ask someone to taste your variation before serving to guests as everyone has their own preferences and allergies.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing these gluten-free scones, there are a number of options that will help elevate the overall taste and presentation of the dish. For starters, you can enjoy them as is or top them with a light drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Alternatively, you can spread them with some clotted cream and strawberry jam for a classic English-style tea-time snack.
If you’re pairing them with other foods, why not serve up some fresh fruit such as berries, kiwi or melon to balance out the sweetness of the scones. You may also want to offer your guests some strong coffee or tea such as Earl Grey or a pot of Darjeeling. The rich and bold flavor of the coffee complements the sweet and buttery taste of this gluten-free delight.
For those who prefer more savory pairings, you can create an assortment of marinated vegetables and roasted nuts to serve alongside the scones. This provides a meal that is hearty, yet not too filling, perfect for enjoying during brunch or even lunch.
Whatever way you choose to serve these gluten-free scones, make sure they are enjoyed fresh out of the oven for maximum enjoyment. They make an ideal treat that can be enjoyed any time of day – whether it’s for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea. So why not whip up a batch today and see how well they go down with your family and friends?
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the most convenient things about this gluten-free scones recipe is that you can prepare the dough ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to two days. This means you can easily make fresh scones in the morning without spending too much time preparing the dough from scratch.
To store the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in an airtight container or resealable bag. When ready to use, simply let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before shaping and baking.
Once you’ve baked your scones to perfection, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, you can freeze them for later use by wrapping them tightly with plastic wrap or placing them in a resealable bag. When reheating frozen scones, allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before heating them up in the oven or microwave.
To refresh scones that have been stored overnight, simply heat them up in the microwave or toaster oven for a few seconds until they are warm and flaky once again. Be careful not to overheat them though as they can quickly become dry and hard if left in heat for too long.
With these storage and reheating tips, you’ll never have to miss out on delicious freshly baked gluten-free scones – even on busy mornings.
Tips for Perfect Results
Baking scones can be quite tricky, but I have some tips that will help you get those perfect gluten-free scones. Here are some of my suggestions to keep in mind while making this recipe.
1. Flour blend matters: The type of gluten-free flour blend you use will greatly impact the texture and flavor of your scones. I recommend using a high-quality, King Arthur’s gluten-free flour or Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 flour.
2. Don’t overwork the dough: When mixing the dough, avoid overworking it as it can lead to tough and rubbery scones. Mix until just combined.
3. Cold butter is key: Use cold butter when mixing the dough that helps in creating layers, tender crumb and pockets of steam that make the scone fluffy and light.
4. Use a scale: measuring ingredients accurately is essential in baking , so use a kitchen scale to measure your dry ingredients instead of cups for best results.
5. Let the dough rest : After kneading the dough let it rest for a few minutes before cutting them into scone shapes this lets the flour absorb liquid and prevents heavy tough scones
6. Pat gently: when shaping them into a round flat surface pat gently from edge to edge, press only once to avoid overworking otherwise the scones may not rise as expected
7. Keep the oven temperature accurate: To ensure even baking and browning, use an oven thermometer to verify that your oven is at the correct temperature as mentioned in the recipe .
8. Check doneness: It’s essential not to undercook or overcook your scones since varying oven temperatures can affect timing ,so always check them before removing from the oven by insert toothpick or test with finger press lightly
Follow these tips while making this quick gluten-free scone recipe result in tender crumb and fluffy pastries with perfectly crisp edges that can be paired perfectly with jam, clotted cream or any other toppings of your choice.
In conclusion, this gluten-free scones recipe is a must-try for all scone lovers out there. In just a few simple steps and with the right ingredients, you can whip up some delicious and healthy scones that will satisfy your cravings without compromising your health.
What’s more, this recipe is versatile and customizable to suit your taste buds. You can add in any flavor or topping you want, from the classic blueberry scones to savory cheese scones. This recipe opens up a world of possibilities for your scone-making adventures!
So don’t wait any longer, gather your ingredients and get started on making these scrumptious gluten-free scones. With this recipe on hand, you’ll never have to miss out on the joy of scone-baking again.
Quick Gluten Free Scones Recipe
- 3 cups gluten-free bread mix (I use Orgran brand)
- 1 cup cream (single or pouring cream)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix ingredients and very lightly knead to form a soft dough. It is important to only knead until the mixture is combined.
- Roll dough out gentley, between two sheets of cling-wrap or baking paper. Roll to 2.5cm (1 inch) thickness. Cut with a scone or biscuit cutter into rounds.
- Bake on lightly floured trays. Place scones fairly close together to assist rising. Brush tops of scones with milk. Bake 10 minutes or until cooked.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You