As a nutritionist and food blogger, I am always looking for recipes that are both delicious and healthy. After all, eating well doesn’t have to mean sacrificing flavor or enjoyment in the food we eat. That’s why I am excited to share with you my Gluten-Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble recipe. Made with fresh fruits, almond flour, and coconut oil, this dessert is not only gluten-free, dairy-free but also packed full of nutrition.
Nowadays, more people are following gluten-free and dairy-free diets due to intolerances or sensitivities to these ingredients. This can make it challenging to find satisfying and enjoyable desserts that everyone can partake in. But worry no more; my blueberry cherry crumble is perfectly suited for those following a gluten-free or vegan diet.
The berry crisp recipe bursting with sweet berries and crunchy oat-walnut crumble topping is a perfect dessert option for any meal. Whether it’s served as an after-dinner treat or a weekend brunch dish, everyone will enjoy a warm sweet slice of heaven. This recipe is versatile and easy to customize based on what fruits are in season.
So come along on this journey as I share with you how to make this delightful dessert that will surely bring a smile to your face and your taste buds!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you searching for an easy-to-make, nourishing dessert that is free of gluten and dairy? Look no further than this Gluten Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble recipe! This recipe combines two delectable summer fruits into a warm, sweet, and crunchy oat walnut topping that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Not only is this dessert gluten-free and dairy-free, but it also contains no refined sugars. Instead, dates and maple syrup provide natural sweetness while almond flour and sliced almonds add a boost of healthy fats and protein. You can indulge in this dessert without worrying about any negative health impacts.
This blueberry cherry crisp recipe bursting with ripe, juicy fruit mixed with a crumbly topping that will make your mouth water. This recipe is perfect for serving at barbecues or family gatherings or just a simple weekend indulgence. Everyone will love the sweet berries atop the crunchy oat-walnut blend that bakes to perfection in the oven.
Moreover, this recipe takes less than an hour to prepare from start to finish, making it a quick and easy option for any occasion. Plus, the ingredients are readily available at most grocery stores or online specialty shops. Within minutes of taking it out of the oven, you’ll have a delicious pastry to enjoy!
In summary, this Gluten Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble recipe is packed with flavor and goodness that everyone will love; perfect for those looking for gluten-free and dairy-free options whilst still wanting to indulge in an amazing dessert. So why not give it a try today? You won’t regret it!
Let’s start with the ingredients of this delicious Gluten Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble recipe. You’ll need the following:
For the Filling:
- 3 cups fresh Blueberries
- 1 cup fresh Cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar
- Water (as required)
For the Crumble Topping:
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- ½ cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
Take note that it is important to measure all ingredients accurately for best results. Also, make sure to use gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients if you have allergies or intolerance. Now that we have everything ready, let’s move on to making this Blueberry Cherry goodness!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to put them together and create this delicious Gluten Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble. Follow these simple steps to make your own.
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking dish with some coconut oil and set aside.
Step 2: Mix the Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of fresh blueberries and 1 cup of pitted fresh cherries. Add in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of arrowroot, 1/4 cup of coconut sugar, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Mix everything well until the fruit is coated evenly.
Step 3: Create the Crisp Topping
In another mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of almond flour, 1/2 cup of old fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix well until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
Add in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix everything together until the mixture becomes crumbly.
Step 4: Assemble and Bake
Place the fruit mixture into the greased baking dish. Spread it evenly across the dish. Sprinkle the crisp topping over the fruit mixture, using your fingers to create an even layer.
Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50 to 60 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy, and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your warm, sweet berries with their crunchy oat-walnut topping- perfect for chilly evenings or as an elegant dessert when hosting guests.
Substitutions and Variations
In my opinion, one of the most exciting things about cooking is experimenting with new ingredients and flavor combinations. For this reason, I encourage you to take this recipe as a starting point and make it your own. Here are some substitutions and variations you could try:
– Fruits: You can use any combination of fresh or frozen fruits that you like. Try using peaches or raspberries instead of, or alongside, the blueberries and cherries for an entirely different flavor experience.
– Gluten-Free Flour: If you have a different gluten-free flour on hand, such as buckwheat, brown rice or chickpea flour, feel free to use it in place of the almond flour called for in this recipe. Just be aware that it may affect the texture slightly.
– Sugar: Instead of coconut sugar used in this recipe, experiment with other natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. Keep in mind that some sweeteners are sweeter than others so you’ll need to adjust accordingly.
– Oats: If you’re sensitive to oats, I recommend subbing rolled quinoa flakes – they will mimic the texture of oats but without any gluten. Or alternatively, if you prefer a nuttier flavour profile use chopped walnuts instead of rolled oats in your crumble topping.
– Milk: To make this recipe dairy-free, swap out the butter with the same amount of coconut oil and replace regular milk with oat milk or almond milk.
Remember to taste your mixture at every stage and be adventurous! That’s what cooking is all about – making something that is uniquely yours.
Serving and Pairing
I can almost smell the blueberry cherry crisp warm out of the oven, with sweet berries and crunchy oat-walnut topping. This dessert is best served right away, while the toppings are still crispy and the fruit is warm. You can top it off with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, and savor every spoonful of this luscious indulgence.
But there’s no need to limit yourself to serving this gluten-free blueberry cherry crisp as a dessert only—it’s a versatile dish that can be paired with other dishes too.
For breakfast, enjoy a slice of blueberry cherry crisp alongside your morning coffee or tea. The sweetness of the berries has just the right amount of energy boost to kickstart your day.
As a treat for an afternoon snack or picnic, this dessert recipe pairs really well with yogurt, granola or nuts. The natural tartness of yogurt balances out well with the sweetness of the berries.
If you’re looking for a healthier option for brunch or lunch, pair it with a salad made from crisp greens such as arugula, kale or spinach. You get to strengthen up your nutrient intake from fresh greens and indulge in this delicious berry crumble at the same time.
No matter how you serve it, one thing is for sure—this free blueberry cherry crisp recipe bursting with freshly picked fruits is perfect for any occasion. It brings warmth, joy and comfort to your palate that you’ll surely come back for seconds!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you make this gluten-free Blueberry Cherry Crumble, you will find it is too good to let any go to waste. But don’t worry, you can easily store and reheat it. This recipe is very versatile when it comes to make-ahead, storing and reheating options.
To make ahead, prepare the blueberry cherry crisp entirely before baking. Then cover and place it in the refrigerator for a day or freeze it for up to one month. To reheat the frozen crisp, leave it overnight in the fridge and then reheat as usual.
To store leftovers, transfer the blueberry cherry crisp into an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you plan on keeping the crisp for more than three days, then freeze it until ready to enjoy.
When reheating this delicious crumble, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Then bake the blueberry cherry crisp from frozen for about 50-60 minutes or until warmed through. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave until warm and bubbly.
The blueberry cherry crisp can be served either warm or chilled. However, always ensure that you take out your baked gluten-free blueberry cherry crisp half hour before serving time, allowing it to reach room temperature before heating or serving.
With these storage and reheating tips, you can now enjoy this recipe as much as possible without compromising its taste and freshness.
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking is an art, my fellow food lovers. And like any art, there are tricks and tips to make it perfect. Here are some essential tips to help you create a delicious Gluten-Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble.
1. Make sure the cherries are fully ripe: Ripe cherries are softer and sweeter, making them perfect for this recipe. The best way to check for ripeness is by looking at the stem – if it’s green, leave the cherries to ripen some more.
2. Don’t skip the lemon juice: Adding lemon juice to the filling helps bring out the natural sweetness of the blueberries and cherries, creating a juicy and flavorful base for crumble topping.
3. Cut the fruit evenly: Try to cut the cherry and blueberry pieces into similar sizes to ensure even cooking in your crisp recipe.
4. Use room temperature coconut oil: Room temperature coconut oil will blend better with almond flour rather than cold coconut oil straight from the fridge. Achieving an even consistency ensures a perfect crisp topping.
5. Mix ingredients thoroughly: It’s important to mix ingredients together well from flour, rolled oats, shredded almonds, cinnamon and other elements for perfectly crisp results.
6. Keep an eye on cooking time: Too much baking can cause burnt topping or overly dry filling no matter what recipe you follow. Be sure to watch over your crisp, so it reaches perfection!
Follow these tips and enjoy your warm sweet berries with crunchy oat walnut topping topped with ice cream!
In conclusion, this gluten-free blueberry cherry crumble is a must-try recipe for anyone seeking a healthy and delicious dessert option. With its nutritious blend of fresh berries, oats, and almond flour, this crisp brings together the warm sweetness of fresh cherries and blueberries with a crunchy oat walnut topping that is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings.
Not only is this dessert gluten-free and dairy-free, but it is also vegan-friendly, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking to indulge without sacrificing their dietary restrictions.
With such simple instructions and easy-to-find ingredients, there really is no excuse not to try out this mouthwatering recipe. Whether you are in the mood for a cozy night in or looking to impress guests, this blueberry cherry crumble is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
So why not give it a try? Warm up some sweet berries in the oven tonight and enjoy the crunchy goodness of this gluten-free blueberry cherry crumble without an ounce of guilt.
Gluten Free Blueberry Cherry Crumble Recipe
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 8 dates (large and pitted)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour
- For filling, place cherries and blueberries in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and vanilla, and then toss in arrowroot.
- To make the crumble, place 8 dates, ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon oil in a vita mix and puree on high until smooth.
- Pour date mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix well to combine.
- Crumble the topping over fruit mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until bubbling.
- Uncover and bake a few more minutes until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You