Greetings, food lovers! I’m excited to share one of my all-time favorite gluten-free and dairy-free muffin recipes with you. These spiced flax blueberry muffins check all the boxes: they’re wholesome, flavorful, and nutrient-dense thanks to the inclusion of flax seeds and blueberries.
One of the things I love about these muffins is that they aren’t overly sweet – perfect for those who want a hearty snack that won’t leave them feeling sugared-up. The spices we’ll be using (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice) are warming and earthy, contributing a cozy feel that’s perfect for chilly autumn days.
By using flax seeds instead of traditional wheat flour, these muffins are gluten-free without any compromises in texture or taste. And because we’re substituting soymilk for cow’s milk, these muffins are also dairy-free.
Moreover, if you’re looking for an egg-free and vegan version of this recipe, you can substitute eggs with mashed bananas, ground flaxseed or vegan pumpkin puree.
Whether you make these muffins for breakfast on-the-go or as a snack to carry you through the day, they’re sure to be a hit. So let’s get started – preheat your oven and let’s bake some scrumptious spiced flax blueberry muffins!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast or snack option, these spiced flax blueberry muffins are just what you need. Not only are they gluten-free and dairy-free, but they’re also packed with wholesome ingredients that will leave you feeling energized and satisfied.
One reason why you’ll love this recipe is because of the delicious burst of juicy blueberries in every bite. Blueberries are full of antioxidants that help protect your body from harmful free radicals, making them a great choice for maintaining excellent health. Moreover, the fiber from flaxseed meal and oats helps regulate digestion and healthy blood sugar levels while keeping you full longer.
These muffins are also incredibly easy to make! All you need to do is mix together some dry ingredients like oat flour, flax seed meal, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. Then add in wet ingredients such as eggs, almond milk (or any dairy-free milk of your choice), vanilla extract and mashed banana. Mix everything together with fresh juicy blueberries and bake it for 20-25 minutes.
The best part? You can customize this recipe to your liking by making substitutions or variations. For instance, switch up the berries for cherries or raspberries or add some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans. The options are endless!
In summary, these spiced flax blueberry muffins are not only tasty but also nutritious and easy to make. They are perfect for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack. Plus! They cater to those on gluten-free or dairy-free diets but don’t compromise on taste or texture. What’s not to love about this recipe? Try it out today and see for yourself!
Let’s talk about the ingredients that are going to make these Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins a delicious and nutritious treat that everyone can enjoy. This recipe is completely gluten-free and dairy-free, making it an ideal choice for anyone with dietary restrictions or looking for a healthier snack option. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour blend (preferably with rice flour and starch flour)
- 1/3 cup of oat flour
- 1/3 cup of ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional, but helps the muffins stay together)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute for a vegan version)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (optional, for added sweetness)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened soymilk (or other dairy-free milk such as almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 and 1/4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
These ingredients can be easily found at your local grocery store or health food store. Make sure to double-check the labels to ensure that they are indeed gluten-free and dairy-free. Now that we have our ingredients ready, it’s time to start whipping up these tasty Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve covered the list of ingredients, let’s dive in and begin making these tasty Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins.
Mixing the Dry Ingredients
First things first, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C), and prepare a muffin tin with non-stick coating or muffin liners.
In a big bowl, whisk together the following dry ingredients:
– 1 and 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
– 1/4 cup flax seed meal
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon allspice
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum if your GF flour doesn’t contain it
– 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 3 tablespoons brown sugar
– 3 tablespoons white sugar
Make sure everything is well combined, then set this mixture aside.
Combining Wet Ingredients
In a different bowl, mix your wet ingredients thoroughly:
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup soymilk or any non-dairy milk of your preference (almond milk also works as a substitute)
– 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
– 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Once you get a smooth blend, add the dry ingredients to this bowl. Combine gently until mixed thoroughly – this will create a thick batter.
Now it’s time to add the blueberries to our muffin mixture. We recommend using fresh berries while they’re in season. But if you must, you can also use frozen blueberries.
Stir in a cup of fresh blueberries very carefully so they don’t burst open – this helps maintain their shape and adds a pop of freshness in every bite.
Baking Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins
Pour the muffin mixture evenly into your prepared muffin tin, filling each well to about 2/3 full.
Put the muffin tin into the oven, and bake for 18-20 minutes – or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Start checking for doneness at the 15-minute mark, so as not to over-bake them.
When done, remove the muffins from the oven and carefully remove each muffin from its tin. Allow them to cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy the sweet aroma of these Spiced Blueberry Flax Muffins! These low-gluten, dairy-free, high-fiber muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. Keep leftovers air-tight in the refrigerator for up to five days, then reheat briefly before enjoying for best results.
Next time you crave a blueberry treat, remember – this Spiced Fl
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to shake things up with this recipe, or have certain dietary restrictions or preferences, fear not! There are many substitutions and variations that can be made to suit your needs and taste buds. Here are some ideas:
– Gluten-free flour: I used a flour blend of rice flour, oat flour, and almond flour for this recipe, but you can use your favorite gluten-free flour with great results. Just make sure to use a blend that contains xanthan gum so the muffins hold together well.
– Dairy-free milk: You can use any dairy-free milk in place of the soymilk I used–almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, or hemp milk would all work great.
– Flaxseed meal: If you don’t have flaxseed meal on hand or don’t care for the taste of flaxseeds, you can substitute it for chia seed meal or ground hemp seeds.
– Spices: The cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg give these muffins their warm spiciness, but feel free to adjust the amounts or add other spices like ginger, cloves, or cardamom.
– Sweeteners: I used a combination of brown sugar and white sugar for these muffins, but you could use all brown sugar for a deeper flavor or substitute maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar.
– Fruit: While I used blueberries in this recipe, you could swap them out for other fresh or frozen fruit like raspberries, blackberries, strawberries or even diced apples. You could also add lemon zest or juice to make these muffins lemon blueberry flavored.
– Vegan version: If you’re vegan, simply omit the eggs and replace them with two tablespoons each of ground flaxseed mixed with six tablespoons of water. Let this mixture sit for about 10 minutes until it becomes thick and gel-like before adding it to the batter.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and make this recipe your own – there’s no limit to the possibilities!
Serving and Pairing
Ah, the moment we’ve all been waiting for…the serving and pairing piece of this culinary masterpiece! Don’t get too carried away now; be sure to serve these lovely spiced flax blueberry muffins warm–straight out of the oven if possible. There’s nothing more comforting than biting into a freshly baked muffin and feeling the warmth radiating through your fingers and into your soul.
These gluten-free, dairy-free, and oh-so-healthy blueberry muffins are perfect for breakfast or as a snack at any time of day. Elevate them with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey for that extra boost of sweetness. Another great way to enjoy these muffins is by simply topping with your favorite nut butter, like almond butter or peanut butter.
Now, as far as pairings go, these flavorful muffins pair well with a hot cup of coffee or tea if you’re looking for an additional kick-start to your day. Serve them up on a plate alongside some fresh berries or go all out with an omelette if you’re having them for brunch. If you want to make it extra fancy schmancy, why not try making some homemade whipped coconut cream? That would take these muffins to the next level.
So there you have it; these spiced flax blueberry muffins are truly versatile and can be enjoyed in many ways. The only limit is your creativity!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
These spiced flax blueberry muffins are ideal for make-ahead breakfasts or snacks. You can whip them up in a big batch and store them for a few days without compromising their flavor and texture. For optimal freshness, allow the muffins to cool completely after baking and storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To store your gluten-free, dairy-free muffins for longer periods, you can freeze them. Simply place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe resealable bags and keep them frozen for up to 3 months. When reheating from frozen, microwave each muffin for about 30 seconds, or until warmed through.
If you prefer having your muffins freshly baked, you can prepare the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. This way, you’ll have fresh muffins ready to bake in the morning with minimal effort. To do so, mix all the ingredients as directed in the recipe, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
To reheat your pre-made muffins or those that are leftover on day two or three, wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 10-15 seconds. Alternatively, you can reheat the muffins on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about five minutes.
Regardless of how you choose to store and reheat these spiced flax blueberry muffins, they will remain deliciously soft, moist, and flavorful, making them perfect for any time of day.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have learned about the recipe and its ingredients, let’s dive into some essential tips to ensure perfect results when making these spiced flax blueberry muffins.
Firstly, make sure to measure all the ingredients precisely. Even a small difference in measurement can significantly impact the texture and taste of your muffins. Use the right measuring tools such as spoons and cups and level them off with a knife or straight edge for accurate measurements.
Secondly, it is crucial not to overmix your batter as doing so may result in tough and dry muffins. Mix your dry ingredients together then add the wet ones, stirring until they are just combined. Commonly, it is best to leave a few lumps in the batter.
Thirdly, allow your muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan before transferring them onto a wire rack to prevent them from going soggy. This also helps to get rid of any excess moisture that could make the muffins mushy.
Fourthly, feel free to experiment with different substitutions and variations. You can replace blueberries with other fruits such as raspberries or strawberries or use different types of flours such as oat and almond flours instead of rice flour. Vegan options like unsweetened almond or soy milk can also be added instead of soymilk for those who want an egg-free version.
Lastly, do not overbake your muffins. Check their doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean, they are ready. Overbaking may result in burnt edges or dry muffins.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy perfect spiced flax blueberry muffins that are gluten-free and dairy-free without compromising on taste or texture – every time!
In conclusion, the Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins recipe is the perfect addition to any gluten-free and dairy-free diet. With its nutrient-rich ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can create a delicious and healthy treat that you’ll love. These muffins are packed with blueberries and flax seeds, which means they are a good source of antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids – all of which promotes overall health and well-being.
The use of almond flour, oat flour, flaxseed meal, and rice flour mix makes these muffins gluten-free and a great option for those with gluten sensitivity. Also, this recipe is adaptable to different dietary restrictions – for example, by replacing eggs with banana or flaxseed meal for an egg-free version.
Whether it’s for breakfast, snack time or dessert – these spiced flax blueberry muffins will be a new favorite in your healthy diet plan. Not only are they tasty, but they’re also filling thanks to the fiber content from the flax seeds and oatmeal components.
Making these muffins ahead of time is highly recommended – they can stay fresh for several days when stored properly. I suggest serving them warm with some maple syrup or vegan whipped cream to add some depth of flavor.
All in all, the Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins recipe is nothing short of amazing. So why not give it a try? After all, who doesn’t love blueberry muffins?
Spiced Flax Blueberry Muffins (Gluten Free, Dairy Free) Recipe
- 4 cups gluten-free rice flour mix
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 cup soymilk (or vanilla almond milk)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Formula for Brown Rice Flour Mix: 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch (NOT flour), 1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour, Yield: 3 cups.
- 1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2.) Spray muffin pan (or muffin liners) with cooking spray.
- 3.) Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add blueberries; stir to coat evenly.
- 4.) In another bowl, combine milk and oil; remove 1 Tb. of combined liquid and discard it. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 5.) Add liquids to blueberry mixture and stir until just blended.
- 6.) Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. (Optional: Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar or streusel topping.)
- 7.) Bake 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Streusel Topping (Note: these muffins have great flavour and don’t need the fancy toppings). ½ cup brown rice flour mix,1/3 cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ¼ teaspoons xanthan gum, 3 Tb. butter or margarine melted.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir to blend. Pour in butter and stir until all dry ingredients are moistened.