Who doesn’t love delicious, warm cookies straight out of the oven? As a nutritionist and food blogger, I am always on the lookout for new healthy recipes to share with my readers. And today, I am thrilled to be sharing with you a recipe for the most perfect Gluten Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies!
These cookies are a unique twist on the traditional Christmas cookie recipe. They are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, making them the perfect option for anyone with dietary restrictions. Plus, they are incredibly easy to make; all it takes is a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
But why are they called “Forgotten Cookies”? Well, these cookies are made by beating egg whites until stiff, then gently folding in sugar, vanilla, pecans or walnuts, and chocolate chips. The mixture is then spooned onto parchment paper and left to “forget” in a warm oven overnight, resulting in perfectly crispy meringue and chewy centers.
Not only are these Gluten Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies absolutely delicious, but they also make for a beautiful addition to any holiday dessert table. So grab your apron and get ready to bake; you won’t regret it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Have you ever wanted to indulge in delicious cookies while still maintaining a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle? Look no further than these naturally gluten-free Forgotten Christmas Cookies!
These cookies are made with simple ingredients like egg whites, sugar, pecans, and walnuts, making them a healthier alternative to traditional cookies. Plus, they are meringue-based which gives them a light and airy texture that melts in your mouth. The addition of chocolate chips takes them to the next level of sweetness and makes them perfect for satisfying any cookie craving.
Not only are these cookies gluten-free and dairy-free, but they are also grain-free, making them ideal for anyone with dietary restrictions. Moreover, this recipe is perfect for the holiday season when there is an abundance of sweet treats around.
What’s more, the ease of preparation is one of the reasons why you will love this recipe. You only need to mix all the ingredients together, scoop onto a baking sheet, place in a preheated oven, and forget for several hours until cooked. Hence the name “Forgotten Christmas Cookies”. They are come out perfectly crispy on the outside with a soft center inside that is sure to please everyone who tries them.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for those who want to have a delicious holiday treat without any guilt or worries about allergies or dietary restrictions! These cookies can brighten up anyone’s day and make you feel good about what you’re eating. Try making these meringue-based delights this holiday season — get ready to watch them vanish before your eyes!
Before we start with the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients needed to make these delicious Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies. Here are the items that you need to prepare before starting with the recipe:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
These ingredients are all naturally gluten-free, and you can easily find them at your local grocery stores or online shops. If you’re dairy-free, make sure to choose chocolate chips that do not contain dairy products. You can also substitute pecans and walnuts with other nuts that you prefer.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the main part of this recipe article – the detailed step-by-step instructions on how to make these delicious Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies.
Gather Your Ingredients
First things first, let’s gather all the necessary ingredients for this recipe. Make sure you have all the required ingredients on hand before starting. You don’t want to be halfway through the recipe and realize you’re out of something essential. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Beat Egg Whites
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, in a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer or stand mixer to beat the two egg whites until stiff peaks form. This will take about 2 minutes.
Add Sugar and Salt
With the mixer still running, add in the sugar and salt slowly. Mix until everything is well combined and the mixture becomes glossy.
Fold in Pecans and Chocolate Chips
Next up, it’s time to fold in the pecans (or walnuts) and chocolate chips (if using). Use a spatula to carefully mix everything together.
Spoon Onto Baking Sheet
Using a spoon or cookie scooper, drop small portions of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. These cookies shouldn’t spread much, so you can place them fairly close together.
Bake in Oven
Once your cookies are ready to go, place them into the preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
Allow to Cool
After baking, remove from oven and let them cool completely on the baking sheet. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve or give them as a gift.
That’s it! You’ve just made Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies. Enjoy these delicious treats with your loved ones this holiday season.
Substitutions and Variations
Let’s face it, we all like to get creative in the kitchen and put our spin on classic recipes. These gluten-free forgotten Christmas cookies are no exception! Here are some substitutions and variations you can use to make this recipe suit your personal preference.
1. Nut Options: Instead of pecans and walnuts, you could use almonds, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts. If you’re not a fan of nuts, try adding dried fruit such as cranberries or currants.
2. Chocolate Chips: Why not switch up the chocolate chips for something new? White chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or even M&M’s can make these cookies colorful and fun.
3. Dairy-Free Options: If you’re lactose intolerant or just trying to cut back on dairy, substitute butter with coconut oil or vegan butter.
4. Sweetener Alternatives: Instead of granulated sugar, try using honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
5. Egg-Free Options: For those who cannot consume eggs or prefer to avoid them, aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) is a great replacement. It has a similar consistency to egg whites and works well in meringues.
6. Royal Icing: These cookies are delicious on their own but if you want to add some extra festive flair, decorate them with royal icing. You can use different colors and patterns to create unique holiday-themed cookies.
Remember that substitutions may alter the final texture and flavor of the cookies slightly but don’t be afraid to experiment! Try out different combinations until you get something that tickles your taste buds. Happy baking!
Serving and Pairing
These Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies are perfect for sharing during the holiday season. They’re incredibly versatile and can be served in many different ways depending on your taste preferences.
One great way to serve these cookies is by pairing them with a nice hot cup of cocoa or tea. The warm and comforting drink will complement the sweet and delicate flavor of the cookies very well, making for a cozy winter treat.
If you want to mix things up a bit, try serving these cookies with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt. The coolness of the dessert will balance out the warmth of the cookies, creating a perfect blend of flavors and textures.
Additionally, these cookies can be turned into an impressive dessert by sandwiching them with a layer of whipped cream or cream cheese filling. Add some fresh berries or chopped nuts to enhance the flavor and texture profile.
No matter how you decide to serve these delicious cookies, they’re sure to impress your guests and leave them wanting more. So go ahead and indulge in this gluten-free treat without any guilt!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about these Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies is that they are perfect for making ahead of time. You can prepare the dough and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days before baking. Additionally, once baked, these cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature.
If you’re a planner or just like to prep ahead, these cookies are a must-try recipe. They’re great if you want to impress guests with a unique and delicious dessert that’s sure to draw compliments.
When it comes to reheating these cookies, you don’t need to worry about it at all. These naturally gluten-free cookies don’t lose their crispy outer layer or fluffy interior when reheated.
But before storing them or reheating, make sure the cookies have cooled completely. If even slightly warm, they will create condensation inside the storage container and cause them to become mushy.
However, with this recipe forgotten cookies can stay delectable for up to two weeks without losing their distinct flavor and texture. This makes them perfect for enjoying throughout the holiday period, storing in jars or boxes for gifts, or serving with a warm drink on a cold day at home.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you’re ready to make these gluten-free forgotten Christmas cookies, here are some helpful tips to ensure perfect results every time!
1. Beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form: The key to making the perfect meringue cookies is to ensure that your egg whites are beaten until stiff peaks form. This allows for a light and airy texture in the cookies.
2. Use high-quality ingredients: To enhance the flavor of the cookies, use high-quality ingredients such as pure vanilla extract and fresh pecans or walnuts.
3. Don’t over mix: When mixing in the chocolate chips or nuts, be sure not to over mix as it can cause the meringue to deflate.
4. Use parchment paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking and make cleaning up a breeze.
5. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing: To keep the crisp texture of these meringue cookies, it’s important to allow them to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.
6. Storage options: Speaking of storage, if you’re short on space, try using vacuum bags instead of traditional containers. These bags will help keep moisture out and preserve freshness for much longer.
7. Experiment with variations: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations by adding in new ingredients or substituting some of the existing ones. Try coconut flakes, dried fruit or even royal icing for a different spin on these cookies!
8. Freeze unbaked dough: If you’re short on time but want freshly baked cookies, shape and freeze the dough ahead of time. Then when you’re ready to bake, simply allow it thaw and bake accordingly.
By following these tips and making some simple adjustments, you’ll be able to enjoy perfectly delicious and gluten-free forgotten Christmas cookies every time!
In conclusion, the Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies recipe is sure to delight your tastebuds this holiday season. It’s the perfect gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free treat for everyone to enjoy. By using a flour blend, pecans, walnuts, and chocolate chips, you can create a naturally gluten-free and delicious cookie that anyone will rave about.
The meringue cookies are easy to make and fun to share with friends and family. What makes these cookies special is that they are “forgotten” in the oven for several hours, leaving them with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. The recipe is also extremely versatile – switch out the nuts or chocolate chips for your favorite add-ins.
Don’t let dietary restrictions ruin your enjoyment of holiday treats! With this Gluten-Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies recipe, you can indulge in a delicious and healthy treat without feeling guilty or sacrificing any flavor. Try this recipe today and you’ll see why it’s become a holiday favorite for so many people!
Gluten Free Forgotten Christmas Cookies Recipe
- 2 egg whites (room temp.)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat egg whites and salt until stiff, slowly adding sugar; add vanilla. Gently fold in nuts and chips. if they look like they don't have enough "dough" in between the nuts and chips then you've made it right. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet Place into oven and immediately turn oven off. Leave cookies in oven all night, without opening oven door. i usually like to make these cookies after a day of baking. it's nice not to have to worry about taking that last batch of cookies out of the oven.
- Note: don't use stoneware. they just kind of melt all over and don't really stay in the nice poofs that they should.