Attention, all cookie lovers! Are you seeking a healthier and delicious way to enjoy your favorite treat? Look no further than this delectable recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies. As a nutritionist and food blogger, I am passionate about promoting healthy eating without sacrificing enjoyment. That’s why I’ve created this dairy-free recipe that is also gluten-free and organic.
Not only are these cookies delicious, but they are easy to make too! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up these scrumptious treats for any occasion. Plus, the peanut butter and jelly combination is a classic flavor that will bring back fond memories of childhood lunches.
But don’t be fooled by their nostalgic taste; these cookies are also packed with wholesome ingredients such as almond flour, coconut sugar, and natural peanut butter. They’re a perfect snack after a workout or an afternoon pick-me-up.
Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free, or simply looking for a healthier dessert option, these Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies will satisfy your sweet tooth in the most nutritious way possible. So grab your apron and get ready to bake!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Welcome to the world of peanut butter and jelly cookies that are not only delicious but also dairy-free. Whether you’re a vegan or lactose intolerant, these cookies will cling to your taste buds and make every bite a blissful experience. If you’re wondering what’s so special about this recipe, then let me enlighten you with some fantastic reasons why this will soon become your go-to cookie recipe.
First of all, let’s talk about the perfect combination of peanut butter and jelly in cookie form. These thumbprint cookies follow the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe, with just the right amount of jelly in the center to balance out the creamy peanut butter goodness. The sweet jammy center mixed with the rich nutty peanut butter will create a mouthwatering explosion of flavors.
What sets these cookies apart from other recipes is that they’re completely dairy-free. With no butter or milk involved, they won’t leave you feeling bloated or uncomfortable after indulging. You can enjoy them without any guilt, especially if you have dietary restrictions that limit your intake of dairy products.
These cookies are also very easy to make, in less than 30 minutes you’ll have freshly baked cookies on your plate. They only require a handful of ingredients that are readily available in your pantry, making it an excellent recipe for beginners or busy bakers who don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen.
Lastly, by following this recipe, you can switch up some ingredients to accommodate any dietary restrictions or personal preferences without losing their appeal. You can easily substitute gluten-free flour or almond flour for regular flour to create gluten-free cookies. Swap out refined sugar for natural sweeteners like maple syrup or coconut sugar for a healthier alternative.
In conclusion, these peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies check all the boxes for being easy, vegan-friendly, and absolutely irresistible. You’ll love how versatile they are while remaining true to their classic flavor. Trust me; these cookies will become your new favorite snack or dessert.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these delicious Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies:
- Flour (1 and ⅔ cup) – Use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour.
- Baking Soda (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (½ teaspoon)
- Almond Flour (¼ cup)
- Butter (1 cup) – Use dairy-free butter or coconut oil for vegan and dairy-free options.
- Granulated Sugar (1 cup)
- Brown Sugar (1/3 cup)
- Egg (1 large) – Replace with a flax egg for vegan options.
- Vanilla Extract (2 teaspoons)
- Creamy Peanut Butter (1 cup) – Use vegan peanut butter for dairy-free and vegan options.
- Jelly/ Jam of your choice – Preferably strawberry or grape jelly for the classic flavor.
That is all you need to make these irresistibly chewy and soft Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies! If you have these ingredients on hand, then you are ready to get started.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s line up the ingredients and get started with the recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 cookies
- Flour, 2 cups
- Baking soda, 1 tsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 cup
- Butter Jam, ½ cup
- Brown Sugar, 1 cup
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Egg, 1
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp
Note: You can use vegan peanut butter and substitute the egg with mashed banana or applesauce to make it vegan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, cream together peanut butter, butter jam and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract into the mixture and beat again.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients in batches until combined. Fold in chopped peanuts into the mixture.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F degrees.
- Line up a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out dough onto an equal-sized ball. Roll it between your palms to make a smooth surface ball.
- Place each ball on a prepared baking sheet leaving some space between them.
- Use your thumb or any tool of your choice to create a deep dent in the middle of each cookie ball without breaking down its edges.
- Spoon jam into each cookie’s indent using about a teaspoon for each one.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack before storing.
Enjoy your favorite flavors of peanut butter jelly sandwich cookies in every bite of these crispy thumbprint cookies.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking for ways to switch up this classic Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie recipe? Here are a few ideas to try!
– Gluten-Free Option: Swap out the all-purpose flour for almond flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour. Make sure the baking soda and salt are also gluten-free.
– Vegan Option: Use a flax or chia egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds or chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) in place of the egg. Use vegan butter or coconut oil instead of regular butter. Choose a vegan peanut butter that is free from any animal products. Finally, choose a jelly that has no gelatin in it.
– Different Nut Butters: Feeling adventurous? Swap out the peanut butter with almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, or any other nut butter you enjoy.
– Different Jellies: Not feeling the traditional grape jelly today? Try strawberry, raspberry, apricot or even peach jam.
– No-Bake Cookies: For a quick and easy no-bake version of these cookies, mix together the peanut butter, sweetener (like maple syrup or honey), vanilla extract, and oats. Form into balls and press your thumb into the center to make an indent. Add a dollop of jelly to each cookie and let them sit in the fridge until firm.
These options are just a few possibilities to get you started! Experiment with different combinations and find your perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie variation that satisfies your cravings while adhering to your dietary restrictions.
Serving and Pairing
There is nothing better than biting into a warm, freshly baked cookie straight out of the oven. These peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies are no exception. The sweet, nutty flavor of the peanut butter combined with the fruity tang of the jelly make them a perfect treat any time of day.
These cookies pair perfectly with a tall glass of milk, whether it be dairy-free or traditional. Crumble them up and sprinkle over ice cream for an indulgent dessert option, or serve them as a snack alongside some fresh fruit.
Feeling adventurous? Try pairing these cookies with a flavored tea or coffee for a delightful morning treat. Whether you prefer black teas like Earl Grey or fruity herbal teas like cherry or raspberry, these cookies will complement any drink.
For those looking to elevate their dessert game, consider sandwiching two cookies together with a layer of creamy peanut butter or even Nutella for an added touch of decadence. Or, for a more classic take, sandwich them with your favorite flavor of jelly to make mini PB&J sandwich cookies.
No matter how you choose to enjoy them, these dairy-free peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you feeling guilt-free.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve made these scrumptious peanut butter and jelly cookies, it’s important to know how to store and reheat them properly so that you can enjoy them for longer periods of time. These cookies are quite sturdy and can be easily stored for up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container or bag.
If you want your cookies to last even longer, however, you can opt to freeze them. To do this, simply place the cooled cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, simply thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before reheating or eating.
To reheat your peanut butter and jelly cookies, it’s recommended that you do so in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and place your cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat for about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the cookie or until they are warm throughout. You can also reheat them in the microwave by heating them on high for 10-15 seconds but keep a close eye on them as they can quickly become too soft.
By following these tips, you can make sure that your peanut butter and jelly cookies stay fresh and delicious whether you’re making them ahead of time or reheating leftovers!
Tips for Perfect Results
Achieving perfect results is the goal of every baker, but it can be challenging to get there without some helpful tips. With that in mind, here are some tips to help you achieve perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies each and every time.
1. Use room temperature butter and eggs
For optimal cookie dough consistency, it’s important to use ingredients at room temperature. That means taking the butter and eggs out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking. Room temperature butter will cream smoother with the sugar, while room temperature eggs will create an even texture throughout the cookie dough.
2. Don’t overwork the dough
Overworking the dough can lead to tough and dry cookies. Mix the ingredients just until they are fully combined, and then stop. This will help prevent the gluten from developing too much, which can happen when you overmix.
3. Chill the dough
Chilling cookie dough is always a good idea as it allows flavors to meld together and prevent spreading during baking. Chill the formed cookies for 30 minutes before baking to ensure a thick, chewy texture.
4. Use high-quality peanut butter and jelly
The higher quality peanut butter and jelly you use in this recipe, the better your cookies will taste. Be sure to use unsweetened creamy peanut butter for best results!
5. Don’t skip on measuring ingredients properly
Baking is all about chemistry, so make sure you measure precisely with measuring cups and spoons instead of estimating ingredient amounts or using volume measurements like a glass for flour.
6. Keep an eye on bake times
The Bake time recommended in recipes is always a rough estimate! Keep an eye on your cookies starting around minute 10 If your oven runs hot don’t wait till minute 12!
Follow these helpful tips to enjoy perfect Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies every single time!
In conclusion, these Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies are a must-try for anyone who loves indulging in sweet treats without compromising on their dietary needs. This decadent recipe is packed with healthy ingredients like almond flour, coconut sugar, and vegan peanut butter that make it a great alternative to traditional cookies. With its gluten-free and dairy-free nature, these cookies are perfect for people who have allergies or dietary restrictions.
Making these cookies can be a great bonding project with friends or family. Not only is it fun to make, but you get to enjoy delicious cookies at the end of the process. Moreover, the simple variations and substitutions shared in the article allow you to customize this recipe according to your taste and preferences.
So why not give these Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies a try? With its easy recipe instructions, satisfying flavors, and wholesome ingredients make it an experience that will leave you wanting more. Plus, you’ll be satisfied knowing that what you’re eating is not only delicious but also good for you. Make sure to follow our tips outlined above to ensure success in baking them!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies - Dairy Free Recipe
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- your favorite jelly
- Cream margarine, peanut butter and sugars until smooth.
- Sift together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Press each cookie with a fork and then drop a small round of jelly in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes at 375.