Are you looking for a healthy and delicious gluten-free bread recipe that doesn’t require much effort? Look no further! This fat-free French bread recipe is not only easy to make, but it’s also gluten-free and dairy-free, making it suitable for people with allergens or dietary restrictions.
With simple ingredients such as warm water, vinegar, quick-rising yeast, salt, sugar, and a gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum, you can create a crusty golden loaf of French bread that will leave your tastebuds dancing.
The aroma of freshly baked bread that fills your home will be irresistible, and you’ll impress your family and friends with your homemade bakery-style bread.
This recipe is perfect for anyone who loves the taste of French baguette but wants a healthier option that’s also gluten-free. So put on your apron, grab your ingredients, and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a bread lover who struggles to find a gluten-free, dairy-free and fat-free option that doesn’t compromise on taste and texture? Look no further, my friend! This Fat Free French Bread recipe is exactly what you need.
First things first: it’s gluten-free! That means you can indulge in a crispy, crusty and chewy slice of French bread without any tummy trouble. And we all know how hard it is to resist the aroma of freshly baked bread straight out of the oven.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is also dairy-free and fat-free. That means it’s perfect for those who are lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet. Plus, with no added oil or butter, you won’t have to feel guilty about enjoying a slice or two…or three!
Don’t be fooled by the lack of fat, though. This bread is far from dry or bland. The secret ingredient that gives it a soft and tender crumb is xanthan gum. It’s a common gluten-free baking ingredient that acts as a binder and emulsifier, creating a structure similar to gluten.
And did I mention how easy this recipe is? With just 10 simple ingredients that can be found in any pantry, you can whip up a batch in no time. From warm water to quick-rising yeast, salt, sugar and xanthan gum, this recipe has got everything covered.
To top it off, this bread is incredibly versatile. You can enjoy it as a baguette with a smear of garlic butter or turn it into croutons for your salad. You can even use it as a base for your homemade pizza or bruschetta.
In summary, this Fat Free French Bread recipe checks all the boxes: gluten-free, dairy-free and fat-free; easy and quick to make; soft and tender yet crusty and chewy; and versatile enough to pair with any dish. Don’t just take my word for it, give it a try and see for yourself why you’ll love this recipe!
Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients you will need for this delicious Fat-Free French Bread recipe:
- 3 cups of gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup of tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup of oat flour
- 2 teaspoons of quick-rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
Note: It’s important to measure the ingredients accurately to achieve the desired results.
This combination of flours and starches provides an excellent gluten-free bread base. Quick-rising yeast and xanthan gum help with texture and give the bread structure, while psyllium husk adds moisture. Sugar also helps activate the yeast, and the vinegar adds flavor to the bread.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get down to the fun part – making the delicious Fat-Free French Bread. Follow these simple instructions to make your baking experience a pleasant one.
- 2 cups of gluten-free flour blend (1:1 blend of tapioca starch, rice flour, and oat flour)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of quick-rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients together, which include gluten-free flour blend, sugar, quick-rising yeast, xanthan gum and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together the warm water and vinegar.
- Add the water mixture into the dry mixture and blend with a hand mixer until just incorporated.
- Using an oiled spatula, spread the dough evenly into two baguettes or four smaller loaves onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Create several shallow slits across the top of each loaf with a sharp knife (or bread-slashing tool). This will allow for expansion during baking and create that delightful crusty texture we all love in French bread!
- Let it sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, should take around 30 minutes depending on room temperature and humidity.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Allow the bread to cool for a few minutes before slicing it up and enjoy!
See how easy that was? You can now enjoy fresh and warm homemade fat-free gluten-free French Bread without any fuss!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about this recipe is its versatility to accommodate for various dietary restrictions and preferences. Here are some substitutions and variations you can experiment with:
– Flour Blend: While we recommend using a gluten-free flour blend, you can substitute with your preferred blend or even mix your own. Just make sure to adjust the xanthan gum accordingly based on the blend.
– Xanthan Gum: For those who cannot tolerate xanthan gum, you can substitute with psyllium husk in equal measurements.
– Vinegar: If you don’t have vinegar on hand or prefer not to use it, you can substitute with lemon juice or leave it out altogether.
– Sugar: We use sugar in this recipe to aid with the yeast activation. However, you can also substitute with honey, maple syrup, or other sweeteners of your choice.
– Toppings: Once you have mastered this basic gluten-free French bread recipe, feel free to add your own creative toppings for added flavor. You can sprinkle on some herbs or spices like garlic powder, rosemary, or chili flakes. You can also add some cheese if you’re not dairy-free.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different substitutions and variations until you find what works best for your taste buds and dietary needs.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve made this delicious Fat Free French Bread, there are a lot of great ways to serve and pair it with other dishes. Its crusty exterior and airy interior make it perfect for sandwiches, toast or a side dish. It has an amazing texture that holds up well to dips, spreads, and toppings.
One of my favorite ways to eat French bread is the classic way – slathered with butter! But if you’re looking for healthier options, you can try toppings like avocado, mashed beans, hummus or nut butter. You could also pair it with soups, stews or salads.
The bread’s versatility means it’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You could also use this bread to create an amazing garlic bread. It would be a wonderful accompaniment to many Italian dishes like pasta, lasagna or pizza.
This Gluten Free French Bread recipe has no allergen ingredients which makes it perfect for vegans or for those with allergies or intolerances to gluten and dairy. Serve this delicious bread as a side to a vegan chili recipe or alongside a salad for a light lunch.
Whether you want something comforting and wholesome or more indulgent with exotic flavors, Fat Free French Bread has got your back. So why not experiment and try using this bread in your cooking? The possibilities are endless!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The great thing about this fat-free French bread recipe is that it’s perfect for preparing ahead of time. You can easily make the dough in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Mixing the dough a day or two before baking can actually give the bread more flavor since the yeast has more time to develop.
To store your baked French bread, wrap it tightly in plastic or aluminum foil to keep it fresh for up to three days at room temperature. If you want to keep it longer, you can freeze it for up to three months. Be sure to slice the bread before freezing and wrap each slice individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil so that it is easy to thaw when needed.
When reheating, there are a couple of methods you can use. One popular method is to spritz or brush the bread with water, then bake it in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) until warmed through and crispy on the outside. Another option is to heat the bread in a toaster oven, using the “toast” setting, or directly on a stovetop griddle or grill for a crispy texture.
It’s important to note that while this recipe does not contain any preservatives, storing and reheating properly can help preserve its freshness and flavor. With these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy your freshly baked gluten-free French bread whether you make it fresh every time or store it for later.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and know how to prepare the bread dough, let me give you some tips to achieve a perfect and delicious loaf of gluten-free, dairy-free and fat-free French bread.
1. Be precise with your measurements: It is crucial to follow the recipe’s ingredient list and amounts accurately. An excess of any ingredient can alter the texture, humidity or taste of the bread.
2. Use quick-rising yeast: Since we don’t have any fat in this recipe, it is essential to use quick-rising yeast. This type of yeast helps bread rise faster and better than regular baking powder or dry yeast.
3. Keep your ingredients at room temperature: The temperature of your ingredients will affect how fast or slow your bread dough rises. Make sure they are at room temperature before starting to mix them.
4. Let the dough rest before baking: After you shape the dough into a baguette or French bread loaf, let it rest for at least 10-15 minutes before baking it. This will help it rise even more.
5. Score or cut slits on the crust: Before baking the bread, score or cut slits on top of the crust. This allows steam to escape while baking and results in a crispy crust.
6. Baste with water: After scoring the crust, baste it with warm water using a pastry brush. This will also help to achieve a crunchy crust.
7. Bake on a preheated surface: Preheat your oven for at least 15-20 minutes before putting in the bread dough. Also, place a pizza stone or a baking sheet in the oven to preheat since it will help cook the bread evenly.
8. Cool before slicing: Once the bread is out of the oven, allow it to cool completely before slicing it. If you slice hot bread, you risk smushing its interior and altering its texture.
With these tips, you can now achieve baking a delicious gluten-free, dairy-free and fat-free French bread loaf. It is not tricky if you follow these guidelines. Happy baking!
Adding Fat-Free French Bread to your cooking skills will have many benefits towards your health and overall well-being. Not only is this bread recipe gluten-free, dairy-free, and organic, but it is also low in calories and fat. This delicious recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a tasty bread without compromising their health goals.
By using quick-rising yeast and xanthan gum, you are ensured to have the perfect loaf with that crunchy French bread texture. The flexible ingredients in this recipe allow you to switch out and substitute any ingredients that might be allergen-induced to your body or personal preference.
Don’t hesitate to make this easy homemade bread made from gluten-free flour blends today. It’s perfect for all of you vegan, grain-free eaters out there! So let’s get started baking some delicious Fat-Free French Bread that’s easy to make, healthy, and sure to please those taste buds.
Fat Free French Bread (Gluten Free) Recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (2 parts rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (same as mix above)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or 1 teaspoon dough enhancer
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
- Place 2 egg whites in a bowl and leave out so they will come up to room temperature.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray on a French bread pan (or curve a doubled piece of aluminum foil into the shape of a loaf as long as a cookie sheet). Also spray a sheet of plastic wrap that is the length of your pan and set aside.
- Warm 1.5 cups of water by placing it in the microwave on high for a minute.
- In an electric mixer bowl, whisk together flours, xanthan gum, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add the vinegar, egg whites and water and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Use a strong rubber spatula to transfer dough into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Dough will be very thick and sticky. Place the plastic wrap, sprayed-side down, loosely over the dough. Let rise in a warm and moist place for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven down to 350 and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Enjoy it hot and crusty out of the oven by tearing off pieces, or let cool and cut into slices.